Electric Fuel Pump

Hi

I have a Facet electric fuel pump fitted in the spare wheel well

It drums all the time

Is this normal?

I expected it to tick once every few seconds like an SU

There are no leaks

I could mount it at 45 degrees, but not vertically because the pipework doesn't really work

Is the fact that I have it mounted horizontally causing it to drum?

post-11328-0-11868900-1368735147_thumb.jpg

I am happy to leave it as it is if this is normal

Thanks

Stuart

post-11328-0-11868900-1368735147_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuartmac

Huco, all right. No drum but then silent parts are so stressful in a TR .....

Huco plus a King regulator, pushes 3-4 psi, just OK. Don't forget the inertia switch.

Badfrog

PS: did I miss something ?

Edited by Badfrog

No idea if this will help, but a facet should be mounted vertically, the end that opens down.

Ie turn yours 90 degrees clockwise, as seen in the pic.

What do you mean, the pipework doesn't work?

If too short you need longer pipes!

John

Aside from the fact that the pump seems to be touching the side of the boot floor (which will act as a sounding board for the ticking) The regulator should be up the front so the correct pressure will show at the carbs and as John says should be mounted flat. A cutoff switch is also an essential fitting for an electric pump.

Stuart.

Thanks for the advice

I have an inertia switch under the bonnet, the pump is fixed using rubber mounts, its plenty clear of the side panel, although it doesnt look it from the picture.

I now have it mounted vertically, but the noise is unchanged.

Thanks

Stuart

Then could it be that the panels it's mounted on happen to vibrate at the same frequency as the pump pumps?

Try some stick-on sound deadning material on the vertical and hiorizontal parts of that panel?

EG: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Sound-Deadening-Proofing-Sheets/dp/B004HFVXQO

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Thanks again for all the constructive criticism

I do already have a pre filter fitted.

Mounting the pump horizontally may affect delivery pressure from that stated, and having the regulator at the rear may not deliver the dialled in pressure at the carbs, but the car runs fine, with no fuel starvation at high revs and no overflowing of the float chambers etc. As I am not bothered what the pressure actually is, just that it all works, I will leave it as it is.

My original question was - should the pump drum or just tick occasionally. Turning the pump vertically (with a full tank) didnt change the noise, so I guess the answer is yes, they always sound like that.

Now I'm no expert but which model of facet are you using?

I gather some of these pumps are designed to work with a 'return' to the tank after the carbs and some are 'solid state' without a return to the tank. I don't know which are best - I would guess the former but I can tell you that I have experienced the latter and it made a very much more audible noise.

It could also be a fault with your particular pump - there are always folks on here raising issues of newly purchased parts which are faulty out of the box - in my case 3 crankshaft sensors. I can't mention suppliers of generic parts on here but there are some I will never use again. Also I won't use parts from certain countries of origin for the same reason - they look the part but they don't work or they do but only for a short time and then you can't take the part back because 'you've used it sir'

I think it would niggle me and I'd have to try and get rid of the excessive noise other than filling the boot with my duvet.

Hope you find the answer.

Thanks

Solid state refers to the electronics, basically, in a solid state pump the current is "confined to solid elements".

It may be a faulty pump

If it does stop working I will replace it with an SU pump - standard fitment on SU carb equipped MG's where they are mounted as follows -at the rear, above the tank, horizontally, without a pre filter or regulator - and only ticks occasionally. (I think I should have purchased an SU pump in the first place)

Regards

Stuart

To answer clearly the original question, my Facet pump, mounted as per specs, was drumming all the time. The new Huco ticks twice and then stays silent. The occasional ticking after this is covered by the engine noise so I don't hear it. But I used to hear the facet over the engine noise.

Mind you, there's a new noise since the Huco, a very small whirring/whistling like a bad ball bearing would do. Very low but quite innerving as very constant. Stops when the car is not moving (engine on at idle, neutral gear). Dunno if it's the pump ...

Badfrog

• 2 weeks later...