Clutch slips in reverse

It did go forward.. When I put the car in reverse , it started to slip and was if the handbrake was on , I then put it in neutral and pushed the car back to a safe position , left it a few mins tried again it started to reverse about 10 feet then slipped again.... Just so I understand , if I accidentally had left the o/d on came to a stop and then selected reverse it can be disastrous ????? ...

Absolutely, .......... you will break the unidirectional clutch. .......... It may be stuck in overdrive, try to release by driving the car forward only, if this doesn't work jack the car up and whack the iron ring in the middle of the O/D unit with a hide or copper mallet and see if this releases it, check the electrical connections to make sure that the O/D solenoid is not permanently energised. Good luck.

Cheers Rob

Hi Sperry,

under normal conditions the OD will not engage when selecting reverse as the inhibit switches cut the electrics to the solenoid.

However that does not mean other problems may make it engage (but rare).

Make sure the OD solenoid arm is pulled down then try to reverse.

Roger

Had the car up today solenoid looks okay , looked at the wiring on the stalk , very suspect wires just wrapped around not soldered !!! Marginal at best re soldered the wires ..... Started the car gently went forward ok reverse ok . Took it for a drive , all ok overdrive works fine ... Reverse works fine as well ..... Sounds like I was lucky .... Thankfully .... Lesson learnt .... Thanks to everyone who advised

Did you check the adjustment of the operating lever? I managed to get exactly the symptoms you describe by not doing the adjustment correctly.

Follow the manual using a drill bit through the setting lever on the RH rh side of the gearbox and leave a small amount of play about one half mm at the plunger on the solenoid.