Early or Late Car

On trying to set the wheel camber on the front of my car, I thought I would check to see if the fulcrum bracket was in the right way round. I have fitted the fulcrum so the center of the bend points out. On looking in the how to restore a, TR book [ the red one ] says it can go either way depending on the age of the car.

My question is, is my car an early one? It's a 71 and the vin on is CP5419

Also whats the difference in the early and late cars, is it the chassis or the suspension

Ian

On trying to set the wheel camber on the front of my car, I thought I would check to see if the fulcrum bracket was in the right way round. I have fitted the fulcrum so the center of the bend points out. On looking in the how to restore a, TR book [ the red one ] says it can go either way depending on the age of the car.

My question is, is my car an early one? It's a 71 and the vin on is CP5419

Also whats the difference in the early and late cars, is it the chassis or the suspension

Ian

Cobblers! all IRS cars have the curve facing outwards as per Tony`s car (including solid axle 4a`s) all previous cars 2/3/3a/3b/4 have the bracket the other way round to clear the top of the shock absorber.

Stuart.

Are you sure thats positive as the normal starting point is 3 shims, if you need any more then you will start to get short of thread on the lower inner wishbone brackets, also have you settled the suspension correctly before measuring?

Stuart.

Are you sure thats positive as the normal starting point is 3 shims, if you need any more then you will start to get short of thread on the lower inner wishbone brackets, also have you settled the suspension correctly before measuring?

Stuart.

Thats why i was asking about the fulcrum.

The wheel leans out at the top. Have driven the car about 100 yards before measuring

Do you know how many degrees a shim is worth?

ian

I had ~ 7 of them on one leg of an A arm until the spring settled a little. Couldn't really get the nyloc fully onto the threads of the lower stud :( . Finally I managed to strip the threads in the course of a rebushing exercise so bought a replacement from TRF. To my delight it had another ~1/4" of threads making it longer than the one above rather than shorter like original. Nyloc now happy :)

When I bought my 1st '250 in 1976 it had some damage due to being driven by a drunk onto some concrete steps ( it was cheap; $950 ). In the course of its repair by the previous owner the reference fulcrum bracket was reversed, giving the left side dramatic negative camber. The local frame shop " fixed " it by heating up the vertical link and bending it. I drove it that way for ~ 40K miles. Once the engine was rebuilt I bought a new vertical link, rebushed the suspension and brought it to another frame shop with the negative camber duly restored ( some 20 years later ). They were flummoxed until I spied a proper installation in an issue of Classic and Sportscar and informed them. They were contemplating drastic measures too and I saved it at the 11th hour <_< .

Edited by Tom Fremont

Hi Tony,

I see your engine only has three pistons - is this beneficial, what are the pro's & con's?

Roger

Roger,

Its beneficial to fuel consumption:

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/consumer-interest/gnHI9wQ/engine-cylinder-deactivation-saves-fuel.htm

Switch back to 6 when you need the power.

Peter

FWIW if you do run out of thread and the nyloc nut isnt fully engaged then Revingtons have the longer stud version of the lower inner brackets. http://blog.revingtontr.com/2013/02/tr4a-tr6-lower-fulcrum-bracket-rtr3287.html However under normal circumstances you shouldnt need them and it is indicative of a problem somewhere else, usually in the chassis.

Stuart.

Excellent

Next question

How many shims can you put behind the lower wish bone. I have put 3 and have got a camber angle of over 1.5 degrees positive

ian

Ian

It might be the top wishbone chassis mounting fitted the wrond way round - check carefully against Tony's photo.

You can see that the centre line of the pivots is not equidistant between the chassis bolts. Yours might be fitted to put the top wishbone too far outwards making it need more shims to get to vertical or negative camber.

However, its a common trick to reverse that bracket to give more negative camber than normal, so on second thoughts - maybe its not that.

Peter

the fulcrum bracket is the right way round and the chassis is new. The car is booked in for its mot next week and the nice mot man has said we can have the lift for the morning before the mot. So will have a play over the weekend, then check it when its on the lift with the proper tools

ian

Dont forget to run the car around every time you have adjusted anything to settle the suspension again.

Stuart.