Just had a problem with top end noise which sounded like an exhaust blowing, but wasn't the exhaust, manifold.

Removed the rocker cover and had the engine running, the noise was a lot louder and stopped when I pulled plug 1, found that the exhaust valve guide on that cylinder was gone and the valve could be moved from side to side, so hope that is the cause of the noise.

I am just about to refit the repaired head, My question is how much oil should I be seeing with the engine running. The car has been sat all winter and their was not a great deal of oil pooled around the valve area, When I was running it with the rocker cover off, I can't say I noticed any oil being sprayed about or anything. What Should I be seeing, should it be just be a dribble of oil from around the rockers?

The oilway in the head is clear to the rocker post and I was getting good oil pressure.

Hi Jack ~

If I run my 3A without the rocker cover oil is squirted all over the place as I'm getting adequate lubrication to the rocker gear.

Check that the oil passage through the head is clear and also check your rocker gear in case you've got a blockage somewhere.

Tom.

Looks like I may have a problem then. :(

The head oil way is clear and I have just stripped down the rocker assembly. The manual says that you can remove a screw in the end of the rocker shaft and then clean it out, but mine looks like it has blanking plugs pushed into it at both ends and and no screw (yes I have removed the end caps).. I clan blow air through all the holes in the shaft and rocker arms. The rear pedestal hole is also clear.

Jack

Jack

You may not have a problem if nothing is blocked, wear on the rocker shaft is minimal and the oil isn't up to running temperature.

I've had mine running with the rocker cover off, oil is getting everywhere but nothing excessive, so I'd run yours for a time with the cover off and make sure oil is coming out of each rocker, because that's all it has to do.

OK, Thanks, thought I was missing something. :rolleyes:

I haven't done them and the car has probably done about 1000 miles since I got it. Last time I did the tappets (probably a year ago) there was plenty of oil around the valves.

I have filled up the oil gallery that runs from the top of the block to the camshaft (rocker oil feed) , the oil runs away slowly while watching.

Jack

OK , Head back on and covered the valve gear with lots of oil. Engine started up and i ran it for about 5 minutes. . Good oil pressure about 70 dropping to 50 as engine warmed up. Oil comes out of the holes in the rocker arms, but its more of a dribble than squirting. .It may well be that I just need to go and get it nice and hot and check again as the oil was still not hot and it was about 7C in the garage.