Remote Brake Servo problems

Peejay,

No offence. I have no technically precise idea personally and I am considering removing it on account of a rather spongy pedal, just to check. Rest of the circuit is OK. So I figured I would take opinons from the forum before acting.

Badfrog

No offence taken by me, nor intended. Personal preference is where it's at. I don't see that anyone's view is more right than anyone else. I'll not be disconnecting the servo on my 4A nor on my modern any time soon.

Hi Graeme

There ias a non return valve on the servo, I didn't think I'd need one in the vacuum line as well but I know it can be fitted. Thanks for your comment and I might try that next. I have also just googled the issue and seen an MGB forum thread with exactly the same problem. The problem was a sticking piston in his case and he cured it by stripping the air valve apart and lubricating the seals with silicone and then bleed ing the system better. I shall have a go and come back soon. Thanks to all again. Frank

Moi, I'd vote for the servo.

Back in the day I fitted one to a 4a and went with the guy who fitted it to test it. He was driving, and we'd only gone about 200 yards when someone shot out of a side road in, of all things, a dark blue TR2 ! We stood on the brake and seemed to almost stop dead 'Christ', said Dave, 'we'd have been into him if we hadn't got this servo !' The TR2 driver was most apologetic - didn't know the road and had just slid on loose gravel and out onto the main road when he braked hard for the junction.

Never had much trouble with servos, they just seem to give better braking for less effort.

When I bought my 4A the PO told me he had added the servo because he "had to find a way to stop it".

He had done a nice conversion job with an MGB part.

I suspect his discs and calipers were worn out because everything else was.

Al.

I have a non-servo TR4A and a '72 MGB with servo. To be honest I much prefer the feel of the MGB pedal, simply because it's lighter and more akin to my everyday car.So I'm a vote in favour of servos. However, would I fit an after-market servo to the TR4A - probably not due to lack of faith in aftermarket kits. That said, somebody told me a servo unit from Nissan Micras does a decent job in a TR.

The servo from your MGB would do fine in a 4A.

Nothing else is required apart from a bit of pipe and a bracket to hold it.

Al.

And a drilling on the manifold to provide vacuum along with a 1 way valve (if not fitted to the servo) and proper vacuum hose..

Stuart.

Oh I forgot that the manifold would not have been tapped originally.

Did say the PO made a good job of this.

The thing about the MGB part is that it does not have an attached fluid reservoir. You use the existing one.

Al.

The servo from your MGB would do fine in a 4A.

Nothing else is required apart from a bit of pipe and a bracket to hold it.

Al

I wonder if aftermarket servos are worth it: perhaps green stuff pads would be a simpler alternative?

Edited by Edmond

I tried green stuff pads before i fitted a servo and noticed no improvement whatsoever in braking, but I don't drive that hard. If you suffer brake fade in heavy use or for racing they are probably worthwhile but the benefits will be nothing like those of a servo at slower speeds.