Bonnet pops open and again and again and again etc etc etc

My bonnet just keeps popping open totally spoiling any driving experience. Every 15 minutes 'Poing' and the bonnet pops open!

When I first aquired the car I suffered from the dreaded 'Bonnet stuck down' syndrom resulting in undoing all the hinges and then an amazingly skinny contortioness crawling up between the engine and siezed bonnet to free the catch!

This experience has left me paranoid about re-adjusting the length of the plunger which mates with the catch.

Everything clicks down OK it just pops open every few minutes......sorry to sound vague but I really dont know where to go on this for fear of the dreaded bonnet stuck down experience!!!

Firstly ensure that all the moving bits are oiled/greased so that they move freely.

The centre of the springy thing in the bonnet can be screwed/unscrewed. There isn't much thread holding it to the bonnet - you could try unscrewing it 1/2 a turn.

If this doesn't do it then have a look at the pointy rubber things at the rear corners of the bonnet. Screw then down 1 turn and see uf that is enough. If not then another turn.

Have you got an emergency bonnet latch release - if not get one.

Roger

Fit one of the secondary openers that in a current thread.

The "arrow head" thing isn't passing behind the "finger" catch. Its just holding the side by friction.

Take the springy plate off the bonnet and practise with it, with the bonnet up, to ensure the catch works properly.

Then just get it on the bonnet in the right place.

Al.

Also centre the male part by putting masking tape across the female catch and gently lowering the bonnet and the male part onto the tape. It'll mark the tape and show you if it's off centre and needs adjusting. Adjust if necessary and repeat until perfectly centred. Then adjust the male part for reach.

I would go with post #5.... :D

Tony

Amen to that.

Usually, the "holding arrow head" is worn out by use and doesn't stay engaged. This is aggravated by poorly adjuster rubber bumpers. The arrow may be beyond refurbishing and you'll have to buy a new, but most of the time adjustment does it.

The front hinges are part of the geometry too. If the bonnet is too slanted frontwards, the arrow won't catch.

Badfrog

Ha, Sorted!

But Stuart and co thanks so much for the kind offer!

I refitted the 2 little rectangular rubber wedges to the drain channels and hey presto, 30 miles of bonnet popping free miles!

It was obviously the sideways movement causing the problem.

But Hey Stuart....dont worry there's loads of other things that still need doing! I'll pop over soon,

Thanks again

Simon