Small Tenax Fasteners

Following Stuarts original post in " Buy, Sell, Trade" and the £158 fetched on ebay

I had no idea that these were rare items but it raises a question.

My TR2 ( in a thousand pieces) TS 5184, had them fitted but according to Bill Piggotts "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A" the small Tenax were only fitted up to TS 3513. The small Tenax posts that were on the cars windscreen and the body suggests that they were as original.

I have the weather equipment suplied with the car in the 70's a beige tonneau with over 40 fasteners, the original hood frame cover with 14 and several spares and the posts al in VG condition not needing replating.

Perhaps with these and half a tin of Dum Dum I could have a holiday on the proceeds!

Paul, the factory spares book indicates that baby tenax fasteners were used up to TS5513, so original for your car.

Two part numbers are listed - 551866 for Peg, hood fastener, up to TS5513 and 553827 for Pegs from TS5514 (misprinted sometimes as 553837).

I've recently donated most of my TR spares for the benefit of other rebuilders, but I think there's still a small container of baby tenax pegs in the stash, in which case I'd better smartly move them to a bank vault !.

Regards,

Viv.

No Alan, the pegs are smaller as well. If you have ever 'tried' them you can see why they were changed to the 'larger' ones. I still have them (for the moment) on the header rail as I am changing them for the larger ones which are just more practical in use.

Before anybody ask's the small ones are already spoken for.

Nigel (with TS952)

Viv, thanks for the info.

Perhaps you ought to write a new " Original Triumph TR2/3/3A" ?

I have also found a couple of small Tenax but of a different pattern, they fit the small posts, not sure where they came from maybe from a non Triumph.

And also agree with Nigel that the larger Tenax fasteners also have larger posts, have a few of those from other acquisitions over the years.

FWIW There are three types of Tenax fasteners and studs. The early ones had the very small buttons and the posts have a round "ball" type of end quite close on the fixing nut. (these also came in three different fixings, one with a short thread for the screen frame, one with a longer thread for the rear of the body and one with a self tapping screw thread for the scuttle and the doors to screw into the wood)

The second type have the same small button but a larger base where they sit on the material and the post has a slightly pointed ball still quite close to the nut portion (again in the three fixing types.)

Im not entirely sure if this type were used on TR2`s for a brief period of time.

The third type is the more familiar one fitted to the later cars with the large button and the post has a slightly pointed ball (though bigger than the previous two.) with a longer shank between it and the nut section.(again in the three fixing types.)

Then there are the long post type with the distance pieces for the aluminium screen frames which originally also came in the three types of ball ends as the ally screen frame was I believe available from the start.

Stuart..

Hi Stuart:

Tenax snaps seem very widely supplied, and I wonder if the tooling for the small type of post and button still exists. Do you have any suggestion as to how to contact the owner of the patent (or business, or whatever) to see if they would do a run of the smaller type?

Aloha

Dan

Dan I suspect that the tooling has long gone as its nearly 60 years since they went out of general use. Current ones are I suppose made in China.You could always talk to TRF as they seem to like commissioning small runs of that sort of thing.

Stuart.