Seats from BB Classics for 3A

Hi has anyone any experience of seats from a St Albans company called BB or Bad Boy Classics.... I've only got one original seat for my 3A and thinking of getting some replacements. I've seen the Corbeau and Cobra ranges but these on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150960366034?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 seem to be what I need for a fraction of the price... too good to be true?

As I'll be getting any seats recovered to match a complete new interior it seems daft to splash out on Corbeaus for example. Not tried sitting on them yet of course!

Any thoughts?

Cheers Archie

The only worry I'd have with seats like this is that they are rigid and rely on the cars suspension to iron out bumps. In TRs, old cars generally, the seats were part of the suspension and replacing them with modern ones can make for a harsher ride.

Alpine Eagle, who my son does work for, fitted Corbeau seats in a Phantom 1 R-R for the Paris Peking Rally and the owner said it was a disastrous mistake he wouldn't make again.

Thanks Ashley... very good point - this is all a bit of a learning curve for me and very grateful for all the input I can get. The Cobra Classic says it has an integrated suspension diaphram but not really sure what that means.. the Corbeau doesn't mention suspension although both seats look very similar.

Careful, VIv... some people on here take a pretty dim view of fitting MX5 seats in a sidescreen car and aren't afraid to tell you so...

Not me, though... I picked up a pair for £50 in good condition and offered the base up to the car on Saturday. It's definitely a tight fit, but it looks achievable. It appears that you need to swap the seats around (drivers in passenger side and vice versa), remove the seat belt attachment bracket and raise the rear of the seat a fraction in order to fit the seat between the inside face of the body and the transmission tunnel. A little 'shaping' of the tunnel might be needed, too :)

I also made sure that I got the seats with removable headrests (Mk1, I think), as I think that removing them will help the seats look slightly less incongruous.

I think that the 'How to Improve TR2,3 & 4' book has instructions on how to fit MX5 seats into a sidescreen car, but I haven't been able to download a copy of the instructions.

Archie - I have collected lots of info off the net about MX5 seats in TR's. If you want me to send it to you, then PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it on.

Finally - I have two original seats which I am not sure what to do with - only the bases and runners would be usable (coverings and springs are shot), so if you are interested, just let me know.

Malcolm

The BB seats look similar in shape and size to the old Corbeau GT4 seats I used to have in my previous TR3A.

These were very comfortable and secure, although I was nearly 40 years younger!

See http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/19593-rally-seats;-corbeau-sparco-etc/?hl=corbeau&do=findComment&comment=135575 and other links in that thread for much more on the topic.