electronic ignition

Interesting - having wandered around some recent posts, I discovered that there appeared to be a unanimous view of going EI.

So the questions are:

Is it worth converting to EI?

What is the easiest to install and how much.

Does this devalue the vehicle in any way and shape?

regards,

wayne

I have one of these units including the distributor, when fitted it all looks original to the untrained eye. I would like to have kept the original points but got fed up with having to adjust or change on very long runs. I would guess the unit is manufactured in the far east...but what isn,t now ? I had several condensors let me down in the past and they must be from China.

So far I have had no problem with this unit and the car seems to run smoother.

In saying all that I still keep the original distributor in the boot ............just in case!!

Ashley not sure about the sensor maybe I should get one and leave the original dizzy at home?

Hope this info helps regards Lee

What do I need to order from these guys. The link you sent me, does it advertise the fact that for £27+ I will get the distributor and EI, or what. Can't see EI only. Do I need to concern myself about all the kits being -ve earth?

Thanks

WT

Edited by wayne taylor

Wayne

Just ring Simon up and tell him what you need and that you car is positive earth. You'll pay about double the price for a new distributor with electronic ignition in it and IMO, it's worth buying a spare transistor unit for a bit under £30, to save having to change a distributor on the side of the road if it fails. They don't usually, but you might be unlucky.

I had trouble with the Pertronix twice and theirs are very expensive, but I like Accuspark and think they are good value and good quality.

Without doubt you can get better performance from electronic ignition. However before you all put your distys in the bin there are a few things about electronic components and processes you should consider.

It used to be said that since there are no moving parts, electronic items would not "wear out".

Early components used semiconductor processes that made big, simple structures and these have a life of perhaps 30 years.

The semiconductors made today, have been made using methods that don't yield devices with such long lifetimes. A typical mobile phone is not expected to run for even 5 years. It might but that you or I live to 100. Or not perhaps. Components are the same, some will die early.

A simple mechanical part can always be restored/repaired, its just a case of time and cost. You can't do this with an electronic item. You may or may not be able to find a replacement.

I have seen many millions of pounds spent buying up electronic components which then need to be stored in dry-cold atmospheres so that we can keep stuff working for 25 years.

A mechanical item will often "degrade gracefully". The electronics just goes bang one day with no warning.

A common failure mode is that water-vapour enters around the sealing of the connections as they enter the package. This is usually during a period of disuse. When the item is then used, it works for a while. Then the failure occurs shortly after.

Electronic capacitors/condensers with large values, typical in electonic ignitions, have some of the shortest predicted life times.

We try not to use these in high-reliability circuits.

Al.

• 3 weeks later...

things about electronic components and processes you should consider.

And no doubt an EMP would knock out an electronic ignition, Alan, but ok if you keep the old dizzy in the boot !

I agree about condensers, Duts, they don't seem to last 5 mins these days, so I've had Pertronix on a couple of other cars with no probs.

Edited by Superaquarama