White Spirit. Is It Safe?

I really would not use Petrol for cleaning anything. Except maybe a petrol-tank.

I always use white spirit for cleaning almost anything. Its about the safest thing apart from IPA. Most sticky things with soften and give up in a few minutes even PU sealant if its not cured.

My car was painted about a year ago in 2-pack, Octocryl, the same colour as yours and I've cleaned several areas with white-spirit to remove sealant at various times during the year.

Try a small bit that does not really show just to check.

Al.

Thanks folks. I generally avoid getting petrol anywhere but in the tank. I've used white spirit to get the stuff off my hands so I know it works and I've used it on the odd spot of paintwork where it can't be seen but I was still a bit worried about it. Incidentally white spirit works to remove spray contact adhesive from leather providing you don't rub too hard.

If you mean removing excess non setting sealants like the windscreen sealants then I always use a good quality spirit wipe. Wont affect even cellulose paint.

Stuart.

The thing is Stuart you are doing a lot of this. If you buy a gallon of panel-wipe you will get to use most of it.

But this stuff is trying to escape all the time. If you keep it a while you find that half has gone when you want it.

White spirit stays with you and is easy to get in small quantities. Sometimes you need something that does not evaporate quickly. The best example is getting sticky-labels off. You need something that hangs about long enough to soak through and get at the glue.

Panel-wipe is right for anything you going to paint shortly. White-spirit leaves a greasy residue that you don't want.

Al.