Throttle bodies & spanner

I need to have the throttle bodies refurbed over winter, am I correct in thinking that all that holds these on are 3 nuts & locating pins?

Anything I should know or look out for when taking these off.

it's a '73 CR.

Thanks

Nick.

No, three nuts on top 6 underneath. The bottom ones Are hard to get at but quite doable with a decent socket set. Linkage off first having removed plenum etc .

Robin

Thanks Robin, I can see the top one's but didn't realise there were some underneath.

Do you have to replace a gasket or is this all part of the exhaust/inlet gasket?

Cheers

Nick.

Richard, I suppose what I'm afraid of is taking the exhaust manifold off & shearing at nut, then all hell breaks loose.

I'm also guessing that looking at the engine the manifold(s) have never been off so am I asking for trouble taking the exhaust manifold off?

Cheers

Nick.

A good squirt of our old friend WD40 at least 24hrs before hand should help. Taking off the inlets and replacing the gasket is also a good opportunity to make sure everything lines up nicely i.e. inlet port to inlet tract and do the same with the exhaust..

The usual issue is that the studs come out of the head rather than shear off. Be gentle with them and shouldnt be a problem. If the studs come out so much the better as you can replace them. There are differing size studs lengthwise, if it were me I'd replace the lot while youre there , ie studs and nuts as well as manifold gasket. Probably £20 for the lot and once done you know that its another TR bit of worthwhile maintenance.

Robin

Underneath you'll find that the manifolds are held in place by cast iron saddles which in turn are clamped by the manifold nuts. Make sure these are correctly aligned when you put it all back together.