Scuttle drains below dash

Having enjoyed my first summer in the TR I found that the heater fan was noisy when it got colder. I have decided to refurbish the dashboard and having removed it discovered that the drains have rusted out where the pipes join.

Does any one know of a fix without having to change the whole panel, does anyone make a part to let in?

I have resolved the problem with the fan noise, apart from the rusting drains are there any other parts suggestions on bits to look at, I also want to replace the dash top, crash pads and get the wood work tidied up, any pointers or suggestions on where to buy the parts will be much appreciated.

Is it possible to get new chrome bezels for the dash instruments?

Thanks

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Does any one know of a fix without having to change the whole panel, does anyone make a part to let in?

There is a repair section for the plenum area where the pipes fit in.

If you are handy with sheet metal and a mallet then it is fairly easy to knock something up. Otherwise it is up to imagination or into a garage.

I have resolved the problem with the fan noise, apart from the rusting drains are there any other parts suggestions on bits to look at, I also want to replace the dash top, crash pads and get the wood work tidied up, any pointers or suggestions on where to buy the parts will be much appreciated.

Look along the lower seam of the plenum (under the dash) to make sure it is sealed and not rusted.

Dash tops from TRShop

Wooden trim form Moss, TRShop etc.

Is it possible to get new chrome bezels for the dash instruments?

Bezels can be obtained on e-bay - not sure who though

Thanks

Duncan

Roger

Thanks guys,

Happy to weld them up, have access to various welders and people who know how to use them.

Are all the dashboard tops the same, they seem to vary in price between TR Shop, Rimmers and Moss, or are there different qualities?

Will check the lower seam too.

Cheers

I'd be interested to know if yours is as badly holed as this one.

Mine was rotted through in the middle, but on the engine-bay side. Interior side was OK.

I think these corner rot like this if the outlet pipes are not running freely. Then the corners will fill with water.

Al.

I'd be interested to know if yours is as badly holed as this one.

Mine was rotted through in the middle, but on the engine-bay side. Interior side was OK.

I think these corner rot like this if the outlet pipes are not running freely. Then the corners will fill with water.

Al.

Thats the difference between the TR4/4A plenum and the TR5/250/6 ones. As the 4/4a has the fresh air running through and out of the vents from the end of the plenum they suffer a lot less from rot than the 5/250/6 ones that are closed at the ends. Any debris on the early ones tended to get blown out through the vents whereas the late ones it just accumulates and rots the ends out by blocking the drains. A retrograde step.

Stuart.

Nice job with the repair piece Stuart. Did you make that whole thing from scratch ?

Yes, took a bit of doing in 18swg though. ;)

Stuart.

Thanks for the info, do you know if there are any differences with the lower crash pads too?

Cheers,

Duncan

The TR Shop crash pads are a good match for the dash top. I chose not to have a grab handle on the passenger side.