Tr3a H6 carbs Fuel filter......

Hi Chaps,

I am still running the mechanical fuel pump in the engine bay.

Now i have noticed some engine bays have an inline filter.

I as yet havent fitted one... so am only reliant on the thin filter in the pump.

I would be grateful for advise on type of filter and position.

Thankyou

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

See http://www.tr-regist...ter#entry281807 (post #9)

and http://www.tr-regist...ter#entry257019 (post #11)

Still running without extra filter and no problems so far - just need to remember to clean the pump filter regularly (annually?) and check the float chambers occasionally (bearing in mind possible disintegration of rubber fuel lines).

P.S. If you do fit one, don't install it above the dynamo/alternator or exhaust. Remember my post several years ago about what happened to Lynda's TR4A when the filter or its rubber fuel line failed?

Edited by BrianC

Hi Guy,

the reply on the Ali tank cheered you up as there is no rusting issue. However didn;t somebody mention ethanol attacking Aluminium.

If so then you could get Ali oxides passing through to the carbs. May be less of a problem than rust flakes.

If you do go for an extra filter install it close as you can to the carbs and horizontal - this will stop the fuel draining away and causing starting problems.

Brians concern over fractured rubber hoses are valid but the copper fuel pipe terminates in a rubber joining pipe at the carb - so there is no escape.

On the early cars with the H6 carbs there is an overflow from the carb straight down towards the exhaust!! :o

Roger

On the early cars with the H6 carbs there is an overflow from the carb straight down towards the exhaust!! :o

I also posted more recently about that. Got picked up by the new MOT man at my usual garage and the copper overflow extension tubes are now routed down to below the chassis. Even so, there's no getting away from rubber connections for these either (unless one were prepared to modify the carbs).

Hi Brian,

indeed, ducting the overflow somewhere safe is a good idea - back into the tank would be nice but even H6's don't overflow that much - it would never get there.

Roger

PS - it was nice chatting to you at the AGM - you cheered Sue up a TReat.

Hi Guy,

the reply on the Ali tank cheered you up as there is no rusting issue. However didn;t somebody mention ethanol attacking Aluminium.

If so then you could get Ali oxides passing through to the carbs. May be less of a problem than rust flakes.

If you do go for an extra filter install it close as you can to the carbs and horizontal - this will stop the fuel draining away and causing starting problems.

Brians concern over fractured rubber hoses are valid but the copper fuel pipe terminates in a rubber joining pipe at the carb - so there is no escape.

Roger

Hi Roger and Brian

Thanks for your input

We dont have ethanol in our fuel on the Rock as yet i am pleased to say. :)

and an extended overflow from carbs is planned.

Cheers

Guy

Guy,

I placed a glass filter close to the front carb, as you can see in the photos. It does not protect the pump, but it allows to somehow check the flow of fuel to the carbs, especially when priming the bowls after a long stop.

Jesús

post-2902-102380_thumb.jpg

post-2902-102380_thumb.jpg

Guy,

I placed a glass filter close to the front carb, as you can see in the photos. It does not protect the pump, but it allows to somehow check the flow of fuel to the carbs, especially when priming the bowls after a long stop.

Jesús

Thanks for the photo Jesus

And what a lovely engine bay.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guys

Maybe you should go back to banjo bolts on the carbs, that way there is no rubber tubing there.

I clean out the glass filter bowl before I go on a long run, lesson learned, when we went to Le Mans and I picked up some dirty fuel in France which almost filled the bowl before the engine started to splutter.

Dave

In 180,000 miles I never had a fuel filter in my 1958 TR3A. My fuel tank is 54 years old but 22 years ago, I had it "slushed" with some sort of two-pack interior sealer. I never had a problem and about once every 3 or 4 years I empty - oh so little - fine dust from the glass bowl at the inlet to my mechanical fuel pump. I have seen some horizontally mounted filters like Jesus shows where the glass filter is half full of fuel and the top half is full of air. Owners have said that this causes stuttering and hard-starting problems. How can you get fuel pressure when you have air in it ? I have seen them there and also to the rear of the thermostat housing. I would think that heat might cause this separation problem. Or is the the etanol causing it ?

I have the banjo fittings and the original vents on the top cap for the float bowls have never shown any overflow or leakage of fuel, Mine are short and came this way. The logic, I assume, is that any fuel overflow will be sucked into the air filters. The outlets to these overflow tubes is almost beried in the gause in the air filters.

Edited by Don Elliott