Radiator shroud..cowl

Hi All.

Had a call today from the coppersmith who has just recored and reconditioned my Tr3a

rad. I went for the core without the starter handle hole, it was ready for pick up :) .

So its all fitted now and looks good, i have put the apron in place. The car wasnt fitted with a rad shroud or cowl.

As i didnt pay any attention when Pinky fitted his at Malvern this year, <_< or look at any with them fitted.........

Has anyone got any photos of the unit fitted ? :)

What have you done to your motor?

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy ~

If you PM me your eMail address I'll send you photo's of the aluminium cowl I made. This is very different from the 'cardboard' effort!

Regards ~

Tom.

Tom

You have a PM from me.

Dave

Guy.. If you do go for a card one remember to seal it. I used unibond and then gave it a once over with a spray can to match body colour. Looking back I probably should have sealed it with a spray Matt varnish or such like.

Regards Louis

In 1990, I finished my restoration. I put in a new cardboard air deflector. It came black but I sprayed it anyway. It should be painted body colour. My TR3A is painted black. I now have about 6 coats of paint in it during these past 22 years. It is still like new. It comes in 3 pieces and I fitted it with no screws into the bottom horizontal cowl between the grille and the rad. In 1992, I trimmed it to permit my 12" Kenlowe fan to turn (as a pusher in front of the radiator) without interferring with the cardboard.

The three pieces are held together by brass rivets (of the bifurcated type - as defined by Stuart). The assembly is secured with the two lower holes you can see in the photo. The cardboard is sandwiched between the inner flange of the chromed supports which hold the top of the front bumperettes against the front face of the inner wing.

Edited by Don Elliott

I've told this before on these pages: when restoring my TR, I had a cardboard deflector on the shelf, thinking of using it as a template for an alloy version. The day I stepped into the workshop (where my TR was at the time) with a sheet of alloy in my hand, a red 3A was rolled off the back of a trailer in front of the workshop. That car had an alloy deflector. As a result of a minor collision, the alloy deflector was pushed back and the edge of the left side of the deflector a had cut through the core of the rad. Like a warm knive through butter. Apart from the fairly light damage to the apron and the grill, the damage to the radiator was substantial; the car couldn't be driven home and had to be transported on the recovery trailer.

I decided to use the cardboard version. Like Don, I spray painted mine several times (silver grey) and sprayed a marine quality laquer on top. It still looks like new.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

I was going to make an aluminium cowl and bought a cardboard one to use as a template a couple of years ago, but after reading the various posts on this forum I decided to start with the cardboard one.

After the struggle that I had to fit the cardboard one into place, I am glad I didn't continue with the aluminium version - it would have been a real challenge to fit it.

I sealed the finished item with waterproof PVA (Unibond).

Rgds Ian