Easiest way to get to the g'box end please? Underneath or remove tunnel from inside? Ta

Is it simply a matter of undoing the 2 knurled knobs on the speedo casing behind the dashboard and then pulling said speedo out of dash?

The male end at the speedo connection appears to have 'disappeared'? Does that mean it is sheared off and residing inside the female end of the back of the speedo?

Hi Wayne,

the easiest way to the G/B end of the speedo cable is with the tunnel off.

If you have very thin hands/fingers then maybe from below but don't count on it.

Two knurled knobs,

Two light bulbs

Speedo cable.

The new cable can go in from the top 'if' you can get the old one out.

The broken end could well reside in the gauge.

Roger

Roger's point is that you can replace the inner without visiting the gbox end at all. Provided you can pull ALL of the inner out.

Actually I would probably push the outer back into the engine bay to get a straighter run. This will make it easier to feed in a new one. Pulling is easier than pushing with things like this.

Removing the tunnel is not that simple. Sealed with sticky stuff and made of fragile cardboard. You got to remove the gear-lever, H-frame, carpet and OD wiring first.

Try it from underneath. If its really tight you will probably fail. There may be a right-angle converter. Original on OD cars, I think, but found on some non-OD cars because the cable route is better. I suspect the right-angles don't make it easier.

If you need a photo of the gbox end, just ask. Its actually on my thumbnail pic but you need this full-sized to see.

Al.

Edited by alanjohnturner

Firstly thank you both for your time and concise explanations. The annoying thing is that I have looked closely at the g'box end closely and there is an angled converter and the space is very very tight indeed - probably impossible.

I thought the tunnel would have been much easier than described, but as I intend to replace the carpetting this winter - is it something a simple DiY'er could tackle (removing tunnel?). I do like the idea that the inner cable replacement might be the answer.

Is it true that the speedo and rev counter cables are identical?

Ta

The rev counter is about half as long as the speedo. Otherwise its the same kind of thing.

You could either take the cable from the right-angle or the right-angle from the gbox.

Oh you will certainly be able to do the tunnel out job. Its just not a quick job. Fiddly and messy but not difficult.

There are lots of bolts and self-tap screws. At least one will be stuck!

I forgot to say earlier, its probably easier with the seats out. This isn't hard either.

And you will probably find you want to fit a new tunnel. So be prepared for this.

The problem is that the cardboard stuff is pretty weak and old now of course.

You can get plastic ones. Mine is fibre-glass.

This needed a lot of work to get to fit but makes a nice job now.

Al.

Hi Wayne/Al,

removal of the tunnel is tedious but not difficult.

Seats out - 4 off screws per seat.

Carpet out.

Radio out

Heater controls off the 'H' frame

The gear lever does NOT need removing - put into reverse.

More carpets

Remove tunnel screws.

NOTE - when you remove the seats inspect the tunnel under the crapet carpet to see if there is an inspection panel for the O/D angle.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Ah yes the inspection panel.

Held onto cardboard with two "spire-clips" or some such.

Will probably tear-out of the tunnel when you turn the screws.

You can tell I dont like these cardboard tunnels.

Dont think my fibre-glass one will go over the gear-lever in reverse. Its inflexible and v.close to the heater.

Al.

Oh - fun and games, can't wait! Interesting to learn the tunnel is cardboard. S what you are suggesting Al is to replace with a different material? How much and where's the best place to buy one.

Brilliant feedback - thanx again guys.

I bought my fibre-glass one from the TR-shop years back for £17.

It was no more than an "idea", a base to work from really.

But fibre-glass is easy stuff to modify. And STRONG. So I persevered and it came OK.

Makes a nice shape with the carpet set from Skinner.

I spent a lot of time with the sealing rubber at the bottom so I got a good joint without any sticky sealant. This means that I can get in out quite quickly without a big mess.

Al.

Come on then - decide for me!

Racetorations - can't find one for sale??

TR London - plastic one for £90.

What's the best material to use bearing in mind I'll want to cut a panel out for the speedo angle connection. And I also want access to the top up plug

The TR Shop one is OK but does take a lot of effort to fit. The Racetorations one is "A tad expensive" :lol: but just does it and fits nice.

Stuart.

Spoke to Race after you all gave your views and looked at their product. It is definitely the rolls royce of gearbox tunnels isn't it - wow! But it also comes at a wow price (tunnel / scre, fastener kit/vat/delivery: £200+)

If I had a concourse showmobile it's a no brainer, but at the end of the day all I want is a panel to cover the gearbox which hides under the carpet. Looks like TR London....I'll see what I encounter after ripping the old carpet out.

Thanks guys