Upper Wishbone Bushes

I need to replace the bushes on my upper wishbones before this year's overdue MOT (advisory last year). The wishbone arms look like they'll come off easily enough with the spring in place, but I'd appreciate any tips on replacing the arms on the fulcrum pin with the new bushes fitted. Is there a technique and/or some sort of tool or rig that can be made up to ease them on? There is quite a size difference between the internal diameter of the rubber bush (Moss) and the fulcrum pin.

Edited by badshead

No special tools needed Bill. It should all go together smoothly. For the small extra outlay it's probably sensible to replace the ball joint at the same time.

You could use a smear of KY or a drop of washing up liquid on the rubber bushes to ease them in ( this is not a wind up) but it usually is not needed.

Be sure you have cleaned/scraped all the old rubber and grot from both inside the arm and the pivot on the chassis, so the new bush fits neatly.

If you want some NOS 102228 rubber wishbone bushes I do have some. £5.00 for the set of 8 including P&P to UK address. PM me if interested.

Cheers

Peter W

Bill the rubber bushes are poor. Change to blue uprated ones which will last for much much longer and coat them in the appropriate grease too.

Revingtons reccomend this lubrication, but bushes are available at most TR "shops"

Thanks for your replies. However, I'm still struggling to get the wishbone, fitted with the new bush, on the fulcrum pin. The set up doesn't lend itself to being clamped in the vice and I can't get it started sufficiently to drive it on with the castle nut. From your comments I'm guessing others have simply managed to push it on? Maybe my bushes (Moss 102228) aren't right and I need to experiment with others.

As Pete W said make sure that all the old bush has been removed as they can bond themselves to the pins rather well. The arms should just go on with turning the arms up and down whilst applying side pressure. Pictures may help here if you have any. Oh and forget the rubber bushes or you will be doing this job again in 12 months time. What you want is these. http://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SF378-0288AK

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Bill, so from the Moss part number you are attempting to fit rubber bushes. I've always used PU and have had no trouble reassembling the wishbones. Perhaps the rubber ones require compression to fit. Maybe that's because they'll be repro ones. As others have said, fit PU and forget them.

Hi Bill

I used the Superflex ones from Chris Witor 2 years ago. He is based in Wookey, so not a million miles away if you wanted to pick up. It was remarkably straightforward. It must have been if I achieved it. My recollection is that I did use a vice. One of those carpentry ones mounted to the underside/side of the workbench. It opens very wide and is soft sided. The Superflex bushes are supplied with little packets of white lubricant. These are essential! They make it easier to fit and, I believe, they prevent squeaking. Some of the bushes are also provided with stainless steel inner sleeves. I can't remember which ones now (lower I think), but I have seen cheaper polyurethane bushes with only mild steel liners which I don't fancy much.

Cheers

Q

PS - nudge: I emailed you a short while ago with an electrical query. I dun summat wrong!

Edited by Quentin

Now realised I'm guilty of a schoolboy error! :unsure: Initially I left the fulcrum pin insitu and detached one half of the wishbone revealing a nice shiny pin. Having struggled to get a new bush on that pin, I took the whole lot apart today and noticed that each pin was a different diameter. Yes, you've guessed it...the metal sleeve from the previous bush was bonded to the pin on the side I was struggling with. In the gloom under the wheel arch I hadn't noticed! Anyway a bit of heat persuaded it off and the new bush has gone on dead easily. Doh!

Just a thought, are fulcrum pins routinely changed or will new bushes take up any wear in the pin. Mine look like this:

P1050121.JPG

P1050122.JPG

Obviously not been fitted with just the ordinary rubber bushes previously then ;) New pins are available but those look perfectly serviceable. Fit the new poly bushes with their associated grease and they will last you for years.

Stuart.

You should be able to move the arms up and down smoothly using some pressure i.e. not tight. Some of the bushes allow the nuts to go up to the end of the thread and some dont so a little trial and error will be called for and then split pin them when you are happy.

Stuart.

New poly bushes now fitted and car ready for the MOT once the number plate light gremlin is fixed. There's a definite improvement in handling, feels tighter and much less dive when braking, but the car is sitting about an inch higher on the nearside than the offside - any thoughts on how to correct it or should it settle on its own?

Did you take the springs out to do this job, if so did you replace the spring seat pads correctly?

Stuart.

Bill, did you nip the nuts up with the suspension dangling?

The car wasn't resting on its wheels, but I did use a jack to load the suspension to something approaching normal ride height. Maybe I should loosen the nuts and let it rest on the wheels for a while before nipping them up again.

Did you take the springs out to do this job, if so did you replace the spring seat pads correctly?

Stuart.

Stuart

No, springs not disturbed.

Edited by badshead