Plugs 3 and 4 fouling.HELP.

As a follow on from my previous post 11 feb,where plug number 6 was fouling,ive now taken it to another mechanic whos done a pressure test.checked plugs leads etc.Now plugs 3 and 4 are fouling with i think number 4 not firing at all.He is baffled now,he thinks it may be head gasket but the pressure was very good,or he said revert back to my old distributor,do away with electronic ignition and see if it runs like it did previously.I feel as though im being knocked from pillar to post spending money without getting an answer,soul destroying,PLEASE HELP.

Bring it to Someone that knows what they are doing,your only wasting your Money on Cowboys.

If you give a Little more Info on the Area your Residing some of the Lads might be able to Help you out or Point you in the right Direction of a TR6 Specalist.

If things have gone wrong after carrying out work then the first thing is to eliminate anything to do with that work.

If fitting electronic ignition produced a problem, whether associated or not, then remove it and refit the originalto see if the fault changes.

Roger

Yes folks,im in Dudley,West Midlands.Number 6 plug was wet with fuel,but now thats dry and 3and 4 are wet and black basically running on 4 cylinders.Im going to revert back to points and see whether things improve but how do you find a good local mechanic.Ive spent a lot of money and it barely drives now,its no good going back to the same mechanics,im not confident in my own abilities.I just need an experienced head who knows these cars as im at a loss now,cheers.

Bring it to Someone that knows what they are doing,your only wasting your Money on Cowboys.

If you give a Little more Info on the Area your Residing some of the Lads might be able to Help you out or Point you in the right Direction of a TR6 Specalist.

Agree with this, try Malcolm at Prestige Injection (very helpful) or TR Bitz (not used them myself but only heard good things?) - it will get sorted - promise!

Most likely throttle balance now. Metering unit controls on manifold vacuum and sees an average signal from all 6. If one, or more usually one pair of cylinders is out of sync and seeing less air than the other two, it will still be seeing the same amount of fuel and thus be running too rich, giving black, sooty, even wet plugs. A problem on just one cylinder is more likely to be an injector issue.

With the standard linkage, with a good few miles on it, synchronising the throttles can be a challenge.....

I've found NGK plugs to be very ntolerant of fuel soaking, especially when new. They stop sparking for ever. Well-used ones seem less bothered.

Cheers

Nick

Its on twin SUs, so no PI mysteries and any decent classic car expert should sort the problem in half hour. Black plugs suggest rich mixture. Ordinarily I would not suspect SUs - but PO may have attempted to 'tune' them. Or the float chamber needle valves are playing up.