Cam Followers

Hello Forum,

Well the cold weather has put my rebuild enthusiasm on ice for a few weeks but now im off and running again - So having just got my block and crank back from the shop Im turning my attention to the parts of the engine I will replace - Cam Followers - now does anyone have an opinion here on

1) Standard kit

2) standard with hole to allow oil drain

3) Moss lightened followers..

So like most people I understand that its good to have light and strong followers so with that basic principle anybody got anything postive or negative to say re these three variants or any others?

Thanks

Steve

www.mytr6.co.uk

Hi, I have used for many 2500 engines the Moss TT1209 followers, with very results but they are a crime to instal on a block with not worn out bores ( bad English I think).

They have bored out the original followers, this made the outer diameter a little bigger (only on the bored part of the hight) so this part off the follower will not slide in the bore, I have all of them polished in the lathe to make them correctly fit, last engine I have 3-4 hour work on this.

I have discussed this with Jeff Marks and on the end hi suggest to sent me a set std followers for compensation. but I don't want that ......!

Next time a will test a set from Goodparts with the drain hole, I think that are better for lubricating te cam, but they are heavier than the Moss items. Or if you can find them buy a set from AE, They are heavy but do not destroy your camshaft.

The right choice are very importend and don't forged the running-in lubricant!!!!

Rien

Hi Rien,

Thank you that is exactly the sort of info I am looking for - So Moss lightened followers are off my list now -

On the followers with a drain hole - I think the concept is simple and a good one re cam lube - someone told me they are weakened with this relatively minor hole - I notice that TR Enterprises do these - I will ask them who supplies them -

Re the lube - O yes I agree with that..

Thanks

Steve

Hi Rien,

Thank you that is exactly the sort of info I am looking for - So Moss lightened followers are off my list now -

On the followers with a drain hole - I think the concept is simple and a good one re cam lube - someone told me they are weakened with this relatively minor hole - I notice that TR Enterprises do these - I will ask them who supplies them -

Re the lube - O yes I agree with that..

Thanks

Steve

i had some with holes in and my cam still wore out.

i dont think theyre supposed to help with lubrication.there supposed to be lighter because they arent full of oil.

which is bull.when the engines running it all gets thrown up onto rockers.

if you old ones are ok put them back in.

if not get a set of std ones from newman cams.

richard

http://www.newman-cams.com/catalogue.html

• 1 year later...

If a follower is sticking does that mean there is something wrong with the block which has to be dealt with? Or will new followers get rid of the problem?

If the old follower is sticking it may well reflect a damaged, worn follower which has mushroomed. It may just be a ring of gum at the top of the path of the old follower which has built up stopping the old follower from being lifted out

When the head is off - check the bore very carefully for damage before putting the new one in and remove any gumming.

I used Newman cam and his chilled iron followers.Although more expensive(followers) I do not want any more grief in this department.My last cam and followers were of the plastic variety.Be careful out there.Used plenty of cam lube and you do not have to run in the cam according to Dave Newman (owner of Newman Cams) No huge clearances on the tappets either.

Regards Harry.

• 3 years later...

The gentleman assured me this engine had not seized!! :blink: (yeah right!). On investigation I found that one of the core plugs on the front end - the one inside the timing cover had rusted through, dumping the entire water supply into the oil, so the engine was 'lubricated' by an emulsion of oil, water and very gritty rust. The oil pump represented a ploughed field, and in the sump along with the bits of rings were flakes of rust! Yummy.

Edited by Britcarfan

Hi All,

Nothing wrong with Newman Cams! But also use his nitrited cam followers only, both parts s/b always replaced together. Also some engine re- builders will not use valve springs stronger than TR5 types because

of the ware problems on cam lobes and follower bases.

Britcarfan ----- Your cam follower looks to me as it was rusted in at some point, by looking at the side of that follower?

Bruce