Installing gas tank at the moment. I believe the tank and straps are original to the car. However, the spout on the tank does not align very well with the opening in the body and therefore the gas filler cap. It would be much closer if I tipped the tank back toward the rear of the car. Is there something I'm missing here? Is it normal to have to "shim" the tank to make it align? The tank can't go to the rear of the car any further because it is tight against the straps in the boot. Cheers, Mike

IMGP6937Medium.jpg

Mine is similar and I have been meaning to line it up better since 1986. As long as the nozzle goes in and the rubber is preventing fumes from escaping you should be OK. Carry on with important work.

Good Luck

Mike, I've had the same problem on both the early tanks I've installed. Unless it's fixed, fuel gathers in the hollow between the tank filler and the hose. If the hose clamp isn't really tight, fuel seeps past and you get cabin odours.

Can't recall what I did to align the filler, but I think it was to pack up the tank so it tilted back. Think there was some tilt adjustment in the straps by tightening the rear bolts down first, then the front ones as far as they would go.

Maybe double the felt packing between the tank and straps so there's more adjustment to pull down the back of the tank.

Regards,

Viv.

Mike - On the older TRs like your TR3 and my "early" TR3A, the repro rubber tubes they sell today are too long. Slide the tube all the way down on the top pipe on the tank before you tilt the tank to line up the holes. Then tilt the tank so the holes are all centered as Viv suggests. You will find out that you might have to cut about 3/4" off the length of the rubber tube. To do this you may have to start all over again. Install the hose clips before finally putting the tube in place. Slide it all the way down and then secure the tank in the correct tilted position. Then pull up the rubber tube so an equal amount about 1/2" or a bit more is on both parts. The last step is to tighten the tank securely and then tighten the hose clamps where the adjustments are accessible from the trunk side for easier removal next time.

Here is how we did it on a late TR3A for a chap in Toronto.

Shimming of the tank to align the filler is pretty usual on the sidescreen cars, I would use thin rubber to build up any packing as opposed to felt or anything else that may take up damp as thats what kills these tanks in the first place. ;)

Stuart.

Thanks once again for the help. Thought shimming was the only real option, but it's nice to know this is normally needed. Here is a picture of my tank in place. What eventually gets bolted to the circled captured nut? I'm thinking I need to try to maintain the same relative position of this nut while readjusting the tank position or I'll end up with more problems later. Cheers, Mike

Tank2.jpg

Hi Mike

The captive nut and bracket you have highlighted are unique to a small mouth TR3, the are the top mountings for the Occasional Rear Seat factory option.

Originally the car would have had two chrome headed bolts and washers visible on the top of the rear trim panel.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Andrew