Question - Engine removal

Hello,

So my 20 year rebuild refresh is getting out of hand anyone interested please visit www.mytr6.co.uk

Its one of those things which started as a cosmetic refresh and you may recognise the OCD symptoms..."Well i have come this far so I may as well do this etc etc "

Anyway so here we are now with the suspension removed, the diff removed, the gearbox removed, the cylinder head removed, the steering rack removed, the rad removed - There is not a lot left !!!

So the dilemma is this - I am now contemplating that instead of struggling under the car to get the sump off and manipulating jacks and supports and the old bones complaining about crawling around on a concrete floor - Will I just be done with it and just take the engine out now !!

So it seems and easy question and given the now open engine bay it is absolutely a no brainer in some way - However I would have to hire/buy a hoist and i dont have a lot of room in the garage now and it would mean faffing about with the jack under the engine also an area that I dont want to contemplate is removing the bonnet - Dont ask why I just dont - for storage - for assistance to do it - for refit - A number of reasons - Yes yes mark the hinges for refit - Aware of all that - But I just really dont want to do it...

To the question -

Has anyone tried to remove engine only - without cylinder head - without removing the bonnet - using a modern hoist - Is it possible ??

Thanks

Hi

I suppose anything is possible but I think the effort of trying to remove the engine without removing the bonnet far outweighs the work involved removing the bonnet, I also found you need quite a long reach crane to lift the engine out without marking the bodywork.

RonA

Hi Ron,

Yep - I have been considering this but never having taken an Engine out with a hoist - I really dont know if its a tricky job or not - My original rebuild was from scratch...I did wonder how 'manageable' the engine on a hoist is and accidentally hitting the bonnet/baulkhead/wings - Just have no experience on this...Sure if its tricky then questioned answered

Thanks

The bonnet has to be removed, end of discussion.

Lifting out the engine isn't a huge drama, just care and patience, and a lot easier with one of those bars attached to adjust the angle of dangle as it comes out. Two pairs of hands, and it shouldn't take much effort to find someone local, through the Forum or your local group, who has experience of the task. Mutual assistance goes a long way with the bigger jobs.

Cheers,

Alec

Take the bonnet off,remove engine and replace bonnet,no question!

Mark round the bonnet hinge using masking tape,get a mate to assist.

If you roll car out of garage,then 2 guys can easily lift the block out with a rope and scaffold bar.

All easily done on a dry sat morning.

Find an old bread trolley,use a bit of ply to support engine on it and help move it about.

Hi Steve,

If you decide to take the engine out, it does open up the possibilities of tidying up around the engine bay and it's definitely easier to work on the engine on a bench (or engine stand). decisions, decisions.... :lol:

Tony

Steve,

If you want to borrow a hoist, leveller and engine stand for as long as you need them you're welcome to use mine. I'm in Warwickshire and you'd need a small van or capacious estate car.

My thoughts as well, dont do it.

However being a pragmatist, it would have been easier to remove the engine and box in one piece.

It is a 1 man job and will take about 30 mins to accomplish once all the "bits" have been cleared out of the way.

And you could call on the goodwill of local group members to help you re fit the bonnett, in fact by the time the tea has reached drinking temp the bonnet would be back on.

Nice website and a lovely looking car!

Edited by Red 6

Hello again - Thank you again Gents for the responses and also the very generous offer of the hoist etc from PJ - See PM - The engineering task of bonnet removal is not a challenge its simply the hassle of a two person job and the storage and fanatical refit to obtain the bonnet lines etc... I have decided to try and sit back over Xmas and whilst rebuilding suspension during the free time available reflect on if I really want to remove the engine or not.....It just cries out to removed sitting within that expanse of open space

The comment regarding having the engine in front of me to tinker with measure and no doubt further ponitificate on removing caps to check bearings is exactly the dilemma - I have little doubt that the very OCD that started with simple road spring replacement and has got me here - could with engine removal find me right at the end decided for or against throwing in a rebore -simply because its in front of me and I definately WILL NOT be doing this again ....and of course with the engine out well maybe better spruce up the engine bay with a paint refresh ....and so it goes .....on and on and on -

Happy Xmas !