TR4 chassis number?

Can anyone please tell me exactly where the chassis number is stamped on TR4.

I have applied for age related plates,because it was bought into the UK in 1975 with french plates, my brother purchased it and then got 1975 "P" plates, it has the CT number under the bonnet but on the registration document it has " VIN/Chassis?Frame number as: c12p, now it has caused a problem with DVLA. "HELP"

TR4 chassis numbers start with CT and are found on the LHS bulkhead.

Why not contact Motor Heritage with your chassis number and get a build-date etc from them?

I registered mine in 2004 (the process may have changed since then) and was issued with a correct plate for the age of the car.

I was dreading the whole process when I did mine, but to their credit, the DVLA were super efficient and even gave me a plate with a "BU" (Oldham) code.

Good luck!

Adey

The TR4, just like all the TR2-TR6 models, has a separate chassis and body (yes, I know you knew that!).

There is NO officially recorded chassis number i.e. number allocated to the chassis itself, although a number is sometimes discovered when a car is being rebuilt (stamped there by the manufacturer of the chassis on the cross member by the bottom of the radiator, I believe).

The car is given a Commission Number, which is misleadingly also called the Chassis Number - in parentheses - by Standard-Triumph! This number is located on a plate located on the Scuttle Panel adjacent to the wiper motor and, as Adey correctly states, commences CT for the TR4. So, your Chassis Number is the same as your Commission Number, as shown on the plate near the wiper motor - there's a good photo on page 116 of Bill Piggott's "Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6" book. Lefthand drive cars have a suffix L and there will be an O (not a zero, a letter O) if originally fitted with overdrive. Unfortunately, DVLA cannot seem to distinguish between O and zero, so most of us with righthand drive overdrive cars have seen our Commission Number multiplied by ten on the new-style Log Book (V5C)!

On the righthand side of the Scuttle Panel will be found a small plate with just the Body Number - this will have some digits followed by the letters CT (see photo on page 118 of Bill's book).

All this is clearly shown on page 9 of the Workshop Manual (510322), so if an inspector needs to be convinced, just produce a photocopy of that page.

Ian Cornish

Ian,

What would the number inside the rear wheel arch relate to?

Cheers

Adey

Nobody seems to know what that one relates to (Z number)

Stuart.

I've never noticed a number inside the rear wheel arch - in truth, I've never looked for one. However, the bodies for the TR4 were made in the then-new Triumph factory at Speke, whence they were shipped by road to Coventry.

I think it's quite possible that the Speke factory put its own identitification mark on the body in a comparatively inaccessible position.

The Body Number found on the plate on the righthand side of the scuttle would have been added during assembly/production of the car at Canley.

Ian Cornish

TR4 chassis numbers start with CT and are found on the LHS bulkhead.

Why not contact Motor Heritage with your chassis number and get a build-date etc from them?

I registered mine in 2004 (the process may have changed since then) and was issued with a correct plate for the age of the car.

I was dreading the whole process when I did mine, but to their credit, the DVLA were super efficient and even gave me a plate with a "BU" (Oldham) code.

Good luck!

Adey

Thanks for your reply Adey, I have got theHeritage certificate for the car, but because C12P is on the log document as the chassis number, it causing them a problem. Dave

The TR4, just like all the TR2-TR6 models, has a separate chassis and body (yes, I know you knew that!).

There is NO officially recorded chassis number i.e. number allocated to the chassis itself, although a number is sometimes discovered when a car is being rebuilt (stamped there by the manufacturer of the chassis on the cross member by the bottom of the radiator, I believe).

The car is given a Commission Number, which is misleadingly also called the Chassis Number - in parentheses - by Standard-Triumph! This number is located on a plate located on the Scuttle Panel adjacent to the wiper motor and, as Adey correctly states, commences CT for the TR4. So, your Chassis Number is the same as your Commission Number, as shown on the plate near the wiper motor - there's a good photo on page 116 of Bill Piggott's "Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6" book. Lefthand drive cars have a suffix L and there will be an O (not a zero, a letter O) if originally fitted with overdrive. Unfortunately, DVLA cannot seem to distinguish between O and zero, so most of us with righthand drive overdrive cars have seen our Commission Number multiplied by ten on the new-style Log Book (V5C)!

On the righthand side of the Scuttle Panel will be found a small plate with just the Body Number - this will have some digits followed by the letters CT (see photo on page 118 of Bill's book).

All this is clearly shown on page 9 of the Workshop Manual (510322), so if an inspector needs to be convinced, just produce a photocopy of that page.

Ian Cornish

Thanks for your reply Ian. Does anyone know what C12P could be? someone over the years put it on log doc as chassis number.Dave

I seem to recall that some cars were built other than at the Coventry factory (Imperia in Belgium, for one), which could account for a difference between the number under the wheel arch and the Body Number affixed at Coventry.

Ian Cornish

If the car was built for the french market the chassis number (same as the comission number) should be stamped into the chassis on the Front left hand chassis leg under the rear suspension turret support. They are a pig to find and normally covered in dirt/oil but as stated above it is the same number as on the commision plate on the bulkhead. A wire brush and talcom powder may help if you decide to look for it.

Alan