Tr3 Seats, Restoration, may be not?

Hi All,

Whilst awaiting parts to arrive, i have turned ny attention to the seats.

Generaly they look worn, however one is better than the other but the bases

are not very supportive. :(

So i decided to take the worst one apart, and this is what i found.

DSC01280-1.jpg

Notice how flat it is at the rear.

DSC01281-1.jpg

So i took of the cover, a good few sharp rusty springs poking through :(

DSC01282-1.jpg

DSC01283-2.jpg

Oh dear :(

DSC01286.jpg

Anyone have any experience of seat repairs, seems to me this little lot has had is beyond

repair.

Thanks

Guy

Anyone have any experience of seat repairs, seems to me this little lot has had is beyond

repair.

Thanks

Guy

Guy, I think all of the parts to rebuild are available if not a bit expensive especially the spring assembly. I have also read of people rebuilding on a wooden base using various layers of modern foam with good results.

Stan

Guy

I did mine around ten years ago, and yes, the bases were expensive, and they're very bouncy! if i were to do it again i might try keeping the outer top and bottom frame and put foam in the middle, have a go, the ones you have are knackered anyway, so you've nothing to lose.

Steve

My seats looked like the one shown above after 80,350 miles from new. I bought a complete interior from a chap in Witney and he included new jute padding and later he mailed me some springs similar to the original ones. I spiraled them in among the broken ones with the new padding and cut the springs to length and bent over the bottom ends to retain them in place. During the last 21 years, I have driven my 1958 TR3A a further 108,000 miles and the seats are still like they were in 1990. This past weekend I drove TRusty a total of 885 miles and the seats are most comfortable.

You can buy new seat covers and all the foams from someone like John Skinner in Cirencester and if you visit him or another upholstery nearby, you can have foam seat bases cut to suit the covers and personal tastes.

Upholsterers tend to put rubberised horse hair in rolled up sections into new seat spring bases to reduce springiness. Just Google, but I believe Marstons of Birmingham do it.

Ash

Hi Gents,

Thank you All for your thoughts , ideas and comments. Given me plenty to think about.

I have plenty of time to decide which way to go, whether get new covers, deal with the knackered

seat base and revamp the other in a similar fashion, or to store these seats and fit aftermarket seats,

Cobra, Corbeau etc.

https://www.europaspares.com/38/SEATS.html

Thanks again

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Guy,

I haven't used Aldridge, but have heard good reports.

I've used Moto-Build (not too far from me) a few times e.g. retrimmed TuRK's sidescreens and they have always done a good job and have a very good reputation - if you wanted to use them I'm happy to be a 'go-between', see: http://www.moto-build.co.uk/

Cheers

Andrew

sharedmedia=core:attachments:8553;

Guy, I found that the cost of buying the original style new seat trim and seat base inserts etc to be extremely expensive especially at at time when I was restoring the car in general and funds were running down. I therefore went for Corbeau seats which I bought off E bay from a trade seller in Belgium for I think around £80-£90 the pair. Picture enclosed. I used early TR4 seat runners. Not to everyones taste, depending on how original you want to be, but it enabled me to put off the original seat rebuild until finances improve, and I will no doubt be able to sell the Corbeau seats if necessary. However the car has been on the road 18 months now including a trip to France, and the Corbeau seats are still there !

I restored the original seats in my early TR4 which has late TR3a style seats, and despite being tall I find them quite comfortable. However many don't, so before you part with a lot of cash I'd try and have a sit in both styles before deciding on how to spend your money.

Edited by Trevor S