TR6 with SU HS6 carbs starting problems

can anyone help please?

I've got an ex-USA TR6 on twin SU HS6 carbs (converted to RHD). It starts from cold first time. I only need to go to a couple of hundred yards (to the filling station) and it won't restart so it can't be overheating or evaporating the fuel.

I've fitted new plugs, points,condenser, coil, new spindles & butterflies in the carbs with all new gaskets. Always had a bit of a problem with it running smoothly but it always used to restart ok. But now, I've got this restarting problem too.

I'm running out of options and getting more & more frustrated.

Any ideas please?!?!?

If it wont rstart after a fill-up I dont think its lack of tank vent. So fuel pump as Roger suggests, or clogged fuel filter.

On SUs the engine should be smoother than PI. As you have 'always had a bit of a problem with it running smoothly' suggests something basic adrift. Perhaps spark timing. If you have an original, unshaved USA head the compression will be low, maybe 7.75 in the last year ('75 IIRC) . That needs more ignition advance than PI engines - try setting static to say 15 or 20 BTDC and see it it improves. (I have 8.5 CR and use 18BTDC).

Do you know what mixture the carbs are giving? what needles and springs are fitted?

When it stops, or won't start, whip the top off the back carb float chamber and see if it's got any fuel in it.....if not then fuel pump U/S. Blockage, diaghpram, flap valves or as in my case, top body cracked through from one side to the other...... these carbs would have to be wildly out of tune to prevent running at all.

john