il agree with you totatly there john.but you are wasting your breath as far as pi owners go.they are snobs

its like that old sketch with john cleese ronnie corbit and ronnie barker.

richard SUs, i know my place .

I really dont see a lot of people here defending the Lucas PI system on the grounds of superior performance. There may be some minor differences in where the power comes in vs SU's or Webers etc but I doubt that it will be that significant as long as the induction system is matched to the rest of the engine.

I advocate for keeping the Lucas PI on the UK spec TR5 & 6 only because it is a pretty unique system and it is part of the cars character and heritage.

Stan

What really odd spelling as well Rodders. Ferrari used too have reliability issues of real significance, but they sold to people who wanted what they offered. Just over 100HP in a heavy sports car with a specific image is laughable. David.

so sorry about the speeelling but as yuo cna see i know mi place

Hi

I will throw my penny's worth in the ring.

It has been seven years since my complete injection system was overhauled & new bosch pump fitted all supplied by Malcolm at Prestige.

Now covered over 20,000 miles & three trips to the South of France no issues with the Lucas injection system & I dont fiddle with it. :rolleyes:

I have had the 6 for ten years now & it never played up prior to the rebuild just made sense to go the whole hog to ensure no future problems as I drive the nuts off her as often as possible :o

Cheers

Mike

I really dont see a lot of people here defending the Lucas PI system on the grounds of superior performance. There may be some minor differences in where the power comes in vs SU's or Webers etc but I doubt that it will be that significant as long as the induction system is matched to the rest of the engine.

I advocate for keeping the Lucas PI on the UK spec TR5 & 6 only because it is a pretty unique system and it is part of the cars character and heritage.

Stan

I'd certainly go for it in terms of performance over SU's. (When I bought my 6 it had been put on twin SU's - putting the injection on it transformed its performance). Don't get me wrong you can still extract grunt from a car on twin SUs with the right head and cam work but you will sacrifice power band in comparison.

Webers or eFi is a different matter.

IMHO, mechanical PI was a technology before its time,

Hmmm. Seemed to work pretty well on pre-war Merc racing cars and most German aircraft during WW2 ;)

I suspect the cost of the injection systems on the aircraft and racing cars was pretty huge and it would be fair to say the Lucas PI system was ahead of its time in terms of mass production cars.

Ultimately Lucas couldn't get the costs down low enough and some of the steps to do so compromised its reliablility (parts bin wiper motor to drive the fuel pump).

That said the Lucas PI system wasn't particularly unreliable compared to carbs (remember 30 years ago most garages kept Stromberg diaphagms on the shelf). The reputation for unreliability probably stemmed from mechanics unfamiliar with the system blaming the PI for all of the gremlins suffered by the injected Triumphs (when Lucas' other electrical bit were more often the culprit) and compounding it by "adjusting" the metering unit without the foggiest idea of what they were doing turning many a car with a faulty HT lead into a car with a faulty HT lead and a screwed up injection system.

" is it the right time for the Register to organise a day out at Santa Pod......anyone?"

The Register did, sort of, back in July - it just wasn't very well publicised

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=30110&st=0&p=220911&hl=santa&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=220911

Perhaps those who are genuinely interested ought to mention the fact to Allen Forster, that way he might repeat the exercise next year, hopefully with better PR and more support ?

Cheers,

Alec

yep.......and so did I ......

http://www.tr-regist...4&hl=santa&st=0

It rained...... only a Wayne Yoof and myself turned out...... the only run on the strip was a truck with a gas turbine drying it out :(

Edited by johnny250