According to my diagram it looks as though the side,and instruments lights are fused by the second fuse down. But the headlights get their feed direct from the lighting switch or should I say via the ignition switch/ammeter and therefore battery/alternator. But no where does there appear to be a fuse. Surely a bit odd.

According to my diagram it looks as though the side,and instruments lights are fused by the second fuse down. But the headlights get their feed direct from the lighting switch or should I say via the ignition switch/ammeter and therefore battery/alternator. But no where does there appear to be a fuse. Surely a bit odd.

Probably a good idea not to be fused or at least not sharing a fuse with anything else.

Thats what started this off. Turn headlights on. Remove fuses. And headlights are still on regardless. Maybe that's how early TR6's were wired... But seems a bit odd.

Most British cars of this era (and earlier) did not have fused headlamps.

The only fuses were:

Auxilliary circuits which took a fused supply from the from the Ignition circuit - Purple wires to horn etc

Instrument circuit which took a fused supply from the ignition circuit - Green wires to instrument regulator and turn signals etc

Side lamp circuit which took a fused supply from the Lighting switch - Red wires to sidelights etc

The fuses were there to protect the loom, not the lamps. Lamps are easy to replace, looms are not. I would not want a 'headlamp fuse' to leave me without headlamps on a windy road on a dark night.

TT

As far as I know its normal not to fuse headlamps, not just TRs. Perhaps its safer to be able to see the road as the cockpit fills with smoke than to be suddenly plunged into darkness :huh:

I have a custom loom fitted in my car. It has most things fused (headlights, sidelights, wipers, heater, rad fan etc. including separate headlamp fuses for the left and right headlamps so that if one side goes down I am not plunged into darkness. It was expensive but having once had a loom fire in an AH Sprite :( I feel much safer with multiple fuses.

Tony