Hi All,

just got to the bottom of a real head-scratching problem: As my nice rebuilt engine was starting to free-up I've been using a few extra revs only to find a horible vibration at ~4200rpm. "tight engine" i thought, back off a bit. A few hundred miles later, same again, no improvement. Checked EVERYTHING, top-end, carbs, timing fan belt pully (damper type, no fan), water pump. Eventually i discovered that the vibration went above 4500rpm - So it was a harmonic vibration and needed to be sufficiently large to create this problem. The flywheel had been lightened and balanced so the only thing left was the clutch.

When the cover (spring type) had been reconned (prior to my ownership) a couple of lugs had been inserted in the holes drilled over the spring centres. The pieces of metal were above the size of a pound coin and both on the same side , hence out of balance.

One new old stock clutch cover later and the engine feels like it want to rev its nuts off, no vibration like before.

Why are these problems always buried under several hours of strip down work? just got to refit the interior now!

Ade

Ade,

interested in your flywheel, what was done to it, how beneficial and how much?

I've seen Moss advertising one, looks very technical, but perhaps a little weak-your comments welcome.

Any other stuff you've done?  I would like to make my engine more free revving-it tops out at about 4500 rpm -all advice welcomed.

Cheers

Rob.

Rob

I run a lightened and balanced standard flywheel on my TR4 and it revis beyond 6000 rpm (hence i also broke the bolts off!) - its 21lbs instead of 28 or so and the metal is mainly lost of the inside of the inner (engine side) face, with lots left round the circumference. taking this much off is a big job though and I was quoted as much as £200 to do it. At the end I did it myself at nightclass.

I also have a doily type steel thing to fit to my 4a at some point - this is 9lbs and will make the ending hugely responsive I reckon.

Im building a steel engine (or rather bankrolling one via TR Enterprises as I cant afford to cock up an engine with over £4000 of bits in it) and again Ive been advised to go for a race type wheel for obvious reasons.

One thing to bear in mind is that for revis over 5000 4 bolts and 1 dowel are not enough to hold it all together reliably. Ive taken counsel on this and the common opinion is that either 8 bolts or 4 bolts and 4 dowels is really needed. The racing guys use 12 bolts. Bolts hold the flywheel on, dowels resists the circumferential force. The tight fit of the flywheel onto the crank is also important. My own view is 4 bolts, 4 dowels, Tony Lidsay Deam at Kingston Sports Cars recommends this, Steve and Simon at TR Enterprises tend to go for 8 bolts and have had no failures. Dont lighten without adding extra fastenings!

Regards

Tony

Hi

I got the flywheel lightened by TR-Bitz, it was under £100 and had about 9lbs removed, and was balanced at the same time. Seems to be good; I've got an standard flywheel waiting to be lightened for the stonking 4-pot I'm going to build over the winter and at present it could anchor boats!

I wouldn't go too light unless racing where high revs are the norm, road use requires a bit of inertia to smooth things out and prevent the engine dying too easily at lower revs, the super-light flywheels are mega expensive too.

A balanced/ damper pulley at the front end has helped too, much smoother.

cheers

Ade

Rob,

what carbs are you running? Have you rolling roaded it? Andy (GSKTR4) was struggling to reach 5000+rpm even on a balanced engine with 40DCOEs. Larger chokes were needed and now it's a bit scary!

so it may just need a "tweak"

cheers

Ade

JUst running all standard- SU's, std cam etc. The car goes well, but anticipating a strip next winter, so trying to establish a "wish list" before starting.

I have no real intention of racing the poor old thing, just want it to be responsive on the road, I have a real car if I want to go fast!

Perhaps once you are finished and happy with yours, you might consider posting a specification list, and possibly anything you would have done in hindsight, I'm sure this would go down a storm with us tractor engine users!

Will it see off TR8's?

Cheers

Rob.  :D

Will it see off TR8's?

Sorry to have to say this Rob, I was hoping if I ignored it, it might just go away.    I, like many others, don't find your humour funny, I don't find it offensive either (most of the time) - I just find most of your posts boring and displaying your ignorance, hopefully it's the ignorance of youth and you might grow up, sometime soon with luck.

Jonlar,

what are you on about?

This was a question directed at someone who has spent a lot of time and money developing his engine, and as the TR8 is generally thought of as being the most powerfull of the range, then this is a legitimate query.

You I assume own one of these cars, therefore instead of rushing in on the defense (which seems to be the norm for 7 owners) you should, if you had thought things through before rushing in, be pleased, for once I was NOT being derogatory towards your range of cars.

To be honest your previous posts have generally been quite usefull, having a bad day were you?

For once, I feel an apology is owed.

Rob.

Jonlar,

what are you on about?

This was a question directed at someone who has spent a lot of time and money developing his engine, and as the TR8 is generally thought of as being the most powerfull of the range, then this is a legitimate query.

You I assume own one of these cars, therefore instead of rushing in on the defense (which seems to be the norm for 7 owners) you should, if you had thought things through before rushing in, be pleased, for once I was NOT being derogatory towards your range of cars.

To be honest your previous posts have generally been quite usefull, having a bad day were you?

For once, I feel an apology is owed.

Rob.

You poor misunderstood person Rob.

So, just for once you were being complimentary to the 7/8 range - well that is a first, and if that comment of yours was a compliment to the 7s and 8s, then I do apologise sincerely for mistaking it as one of your usual sarcastic, snide comments about them - judgement is reserved.

I don't own a 7 or an 8, as you should realise from my signature, I own one of the last "real" TRs (BPs title not mine!), but all have a place in this forum without being constantly sniped at.

Grow Up or Get Out.

Webby, I am not trying to start a flame war here, and will add no further posts to this particular discussion - I've had my say, made my point and leave it to others to judge.  CGJon

If Rob would get out, I would miss his comments.

We shouldn't take our cars too seriously, don't we?

You wouldnt miss his comments if you owned a 7,his constant reference to sense of humour are interesting .It means being able to react to humour,he has not made a humorous post yet so why should we laugh.

Chris, I owned a TR7 as an everyday car from 1980 to 1983, after a Spitfire and a Dolomite, and perhaps sooner or later I will buy one again.

Living in Belgium, it wasn't evident to buy a britisch car

in the seventies and eighties, and less so to buy a TR7.

People laughed seriously at me at that time (I didn't mind). When you own a TR7 nowadays it's only a hobby.

You wouldnt miss his comments if you owned a 7,his constant reference to sense of humour are interesting .It means being able to react to humour,he has not made a humorous post yet so why should we laugh.

Tell you what mate, stay in the 7 forum amongst your like minded mates, Malc seems to be a nice guy, but some of you are just to far up your own a**** to bother talking to, I conceded to not slaggng of your cars, and haven't done so for some time, but the fact is, I don't like like TR7's-sorry, but never mind I'm sure I'll cope, as should you, nobody's askingg you to like my cars, and truthfully I don't care if you do or dont, they are mine-not yours-try and adopt the same attitude.

Jonlar, If I get as old as you and end up with such a miserable attitude, I hope someone lets me know about it before it starts making other people miserable as well, I enjoy my cars, work hard to maintain them and use them as they are meant to be.

Humorous post-let me think> Oh no, I darent tell any jokes about TR7 owners in case they get all offended.

Reply/don't reply I don't care.

Rob.

Rob.

Perhaps you might be better suited with MG owners?

Pack in your bloody attitude-we can see your comments all over you know, you seem to be a mean spirited frustrated man.

Sort yourself out.

As I am on a level of warnings hitherto unseen previously, I propose a "kiss and make up" session.

Therefore to all I have offended/abused or sworn at. "XXX" thats three big sloppy kisses.

Ok?

:;):

I hope to get some by return.

Hi Rob,

in response to the question some 2 pages back, the spec is as follows...

1964 TR4 (repatriated from California). Total body off chassis resto.

Iteresting bits are: Stainless flexy hoses for brake and clutch, EBC front pads, Lockheed-6 servo, Competition front springs with Spax adjustable dampers, Twin-valve "works" rear lever arms (awesome - the best mod on the whole car), Alternator with narrow belt and damped lower pulley, 6-blade impeller water pump, kenlowe fan, HS6 carbs on type-6 swept manifold, 4-2-1 extractor maniflold,  unleaded head, fast road cam, overdrive.

in the pipeline are - 89mm engine (that's liners, not overall dimensions!) fully balanced and super torquey, minilites (for everyday use - I have proper painted wires at present), maybe front-wing vents.

It runs pretty well at present and had only been set up with a stobe timimg light and colourtune. I only feed it Optimax at present - it worked well in the Impreza, which I've now sold(btw the TR is MUCH more fun at half the speeds)

All being well I'll be at the IW so you can have a look if yer there!

Cheers

Ade

(I haven't raced a TR8 yet, but it eats MGBGTs for breakfast)

We run our 4's on Optimax+Castrol, excellent, but you're right, the old timers are much more of a challenge, at much lower (safer? possibly not) speeds, my day to day car is also an Impreza, this car makes going fast far too easy, in the 4's it's a challenge!

Rob.