TR3A - Hole in Carpet

When we removed the carpet from the 3A (several years ago), there was a hole cut in the carpet where the rear shocks attachment bolts can be accessed. In the photo below the arrow is pointing to the rubber plug which normally covers the hole in the sheet metal. Can someone confirm if this hole (in the carpet) was made at the factory as standard practice?

hole_in_carpet.jpg

They are certainly not there on my 2 but after spending a few hours changing the rear shocks this weekend I Can understand why they were punched. It was easier with the body off fitting the 'remanufactured' replacements when I rebuilt the car. One started leaking after a year. Thanks Alec, they are on at last :)

Nigel (with TS952)

When we removed the carpet from the 3A (several years ago), there was a hole cut in the carpet where the rear shocks attachment bolts can be accessed. In the photo below the arrow is pointing to the rubber plug which normally covers the hole in the sheet metal. Can someone confirm if this hole (in the carpet) was made at the factory as standard practice?

hole_in_carpet.jpg

Not there on mine Frank?

Not there on mine Frank?

Post 60K shell is different. ;) and Early 2`s didnt have them.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Frank - As noted above these holes are access holes for the front bolt head securing the lever shocks to the support bracket on the TR2, TR3 and early TR3As. The re-design at TS 60000 with the large boxy rear space eliminated the need for these holes as there was now lots of space to get at this bolt from below.

My 1958 TR3A (TS 27489 LO) had the holes and the rubber plugs. I can't remember if the hole was in the carpet to expose the black rubber plug, but I believe that it was visible as you show in the early photo of your TR3A.

For the last 21 years, these rubber plugs on mine have been hidden under the carpet which contours all these rear angled spaces. No judge at TRA or VTR has commented because the plugs are not visible with the hood (top) erected and because of the curvature of the seat backs, these plugs cannot be seen. I don't believe that I ever lost a point because of this. Imagine a judge peering inside through the rear quarter panel window in the hood - he can't see down there. He would have to do it with the door open and feel (grope) to find out if these plugs are "visible". But judges are not permitted to touch the car. Even opening and closing the doors, boot lid and bonnet must be done by the owner because the judge cannot touch anything - except with his eyes.

I remember in 1988 or '89 having to move one of these holes about 3/4" so it would be in alignment with the shock bolt. I marked crosshairs for the correct center, used my die grinder ot make the hole round, then I MIG welded new material to fill in where needed.

Edited by Don Elliott

Frank - As noted above these holes are access holes for the front bolt head securing the lever shocks to the support bracket on the TR2, TR3 and early TR3As. The re-design at TS 60000 with the large boxy rear space eliminated the need for these holes as there was now lots of space to get at this bolt from below.

My 1958 TR3A (TS 27489 LO) had the holes and the rubber plugs. I can't remember if the hole was in the carpet to expose the black rubber plug, but I believe that it was visible as you show in the early photo of your TR3A.

For the last 21 years, these rubber plugs on mine have been hidden under the carpet which contours all these rear angled spaces. No judge at TRA or VTR has commented because the plugs are not visible with the hood (top) erected and because of the curvature of the seat backs, these plugs cannot be seen. I don't believe that I ever lost a point because of this. Imagine a judge peering inside through the rear quarter panel window in the hood - he can't see down there. He would have to do it with the door open and feel (grope) to find out if these plugs are "visible". But judges are not permitted to touch the car. Even opening and closing the doors, boot lid and bonnet must be done by the owner because the judge cannot touch anything - except with his eyes.

I remember in 1988 or '89 having to move one of these holes about 3/4" so it would be in alignment with the shock bolt. I marked crosshairs for the correct center, used my die grinder ot make the hole round, then I MIG welded new material to fill in where needed.

Just found this. Another piece of evidence to confirm that the early cars did not have a hole for access to the shock absorber bolts and approximately when the factory made the change.

service_bulletin.jpg