The classic sportscar club race weekend is at brands this weekend with the TRs racing on saturday and after a great weekend at Snetterton in April where the TR5 of Mark Cambell :D and the TR4 of Roy Chamberlain :D both won there races but at brands they will have there work cut out as they both now cary a 30 second stop go penalty for their race win at the previous round. As in the four cylinder race the first 3 places were TR4s followed by 2 spitfires so it was a bit of a TRIUMPH for us :rolleyes: [sorry couldnot resist ].When i get the entry list i will inform you of relevent entries.Sorry as its a home track for me i have no spare tickets at this time.

ROY

Only 2 4s and 1 5 so far :(

Edited by roy53
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done to the TRs again at the Brands Hatch CSCC meeting.

Roy Chamberlain won his second Swinging 60s Group One race in his TR4 despite the 30 second success penalty from his previous Sneterton win. Second was again Kevin Hadfields TR4.

Mark Campbell similarly won the Swinging 60s Group Two race by a Country Mile, also despite a 30 second winners penalty.

Finally the TR7 V8 of Martyn Adams was victorious in the Future Classics race.

Well done to all.

Dave McD

Particularly well done to Martyn Adams who only qualified 7th in a 30 car grid of heavyweight Porsches, Astons and American V8s but still managed to beat them all in the race finishing over 20 seconds ahead of his arch nemesis in a Lotus Esprit Turbo!

However where are all the other quick TR7V8s, apart from the ones who are now seen competing in the Scottish Hills. Come on guys, Alan Price, Mike Cowing and Mark Richards to name just three. Lets see you out racing in the Future Classics and giving Martyn some backup against all those hordes of Porsches!

Particularly well done to Martyn Adams who only qualified 7th in a 30 car grid of heavyweight Porsches, Astons and American V8s but still managed to beat them all in the race finishing over 20 seconds ahead of his arch nemesis in a Lotus Esprit Turbo!

However where are all the other quick TR7V8s, apart from the ones who are now seen competing in the Scottish Hills. Come on guys, Alan Price, Mike Cowing and Mark Richards to name just three. Lets see you out racing in the Future Classics and giving Martyn some backup against all those hordes of Porsches!

I here many of the old V8's that used to Win in the old TR Reg now used to run 4.6's (no surpise to me). From a reliable source (told by one of the V8 runners that used to clean up) ;)

Don't believe everything you are told Jon! There were a lot of 'windup' merchants in the TR Register series and some are still racing today!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement Mike, cash, cheque or banker's draft are most acceptable to me to fund a season's racing! :P

Seriously I desperately want to be out there and I had actually entered for Brands, but had to pull out. I still get a thrill out of the racing - last year @ Silverstone, I qualified 21st after gearbox failure, an epic effort got a temporary replacement one in and I got up to 2nd ahead of that pesky Esprit and all the other 7V8's before dropping back to 4th with brake, tyre and brain fade (still won the class). A brilliant job by Messrs Miller, Pendle, Chapman, my mate Phil Wakelin, Willy Toye (his gearbox) and others who chipped in.

Maybe the recession - sorry mustn't call it that - has something to do with the missing racers? I'm well down on income compared to previous years and have had to yet again settle for a few UK-only races. Then again Mark Richards is only truly interested in the European events - Spa and the Nurburgring - we've all got our own reasons.

But fantastic result for Martyn, nice guy who puts in the appearances and gets the results

Seeya

Alan

Err.. sorry to disappoint,

I can catergorically state that the only engine size I ever used in the TR7V8 was a 3.9 litre. I can't speak about engines run by anyone else competing against me, I trusted them to run according to the rules.

Also regarding any claims that somebody gets over 300hp from any 3.9 Rover blocked V8 should be treated with extreme caution. During testing of Rolling roads capable of setting up V8s and trying to keep my car in the rollers, (we tried 3 before giving up and dyno testing instead)all the operators laughed about getting over 150hp from an injection Rover V8, (that was before they gave up !).

I've now built enough Rover V8s to know what I was having to do to get my BHP, to have guys claim that you put a Holly on and a variety of other bolt on items and then produce startling BHPs makes my ears bleed, come to think of it we beat most of them !

Mick Richards

Err.. sorry to disappoint,

I can catergorically state that the only engine size I ever used in the TR7V8 was a 3.9 litre. I can't speak about engines run by anyone else competing against me, I trusted them to run according to the rules.

Also regarding any claims that somebody gets over 300hp from any 3.9 Rover blocked V8 should be treated with extreme caution. During testing of Rolling roads capable of setting up V8s and trying to keep my car in the rollers, (we tried 3 before giving up and dyno testing instead)all the operators laughed about getting over 150hp from an injection Rover V8, (that was before they gave up !).

I've now built enough Rover V8s to know what I was having to do to get my BHP, to have guys claim that you put a Holly on and a variety of other bolt on items and then produce startling BHPs makes my ears bleed, come to think of it we beat most of them !

Mick Richards

Nicely put Mick.

I was flicking through a VERY old CCC a week or two back and it had your TR8 in it, in a group test with an MGBV8. Good stuff.

Let me know if you want a copy scanned :)

I have had plenty of 5.0 litre RV8's to know they just about make 300 with a wilder cam and some ecu tweeks (whole 1.1 bigger).

Race Class B Mogs (3.9 ladie lumps) all the time and they are all built by John Eales for the series with a spec cam and a tad higher compression and and are recon'd to make about 265 honest bhp and a good bit better torque than then best TR6's and mostly beat us (but then in a higher class). So I think like you you could just about squeeze very high 200's out of a "free" 3.9.

Free 4.6's can make about 420bhp now (as in the Class A Morgans - which are not allowed to run in the Thoroughbreds due to the engines, but alos they run huge tyres to so would not fit. Raced against a Class A Mog at Snett a few weeks back - way way faster than a Class B one on the straights (mind he was not the best driver and spun twice before exiting the race).

Anyway, lets get back on track.

Brands...........