Ball joint differences between LHS to RHS

I was just pondering when to tackle the front suspension and what I would need to order and as I was looking at the ball joints I noticed that the LHS has a beefy piece of metal plate between it and the upper arm while the RHS does not. They both seem to have the spacer in place. Any speculation as to what would account for this difference ?. Perhaps a problem with the upper arms on the LHS or an attempt to fix a geometry problem perhaps ?.

LandRBalljoints.jpg

Stan, looks like that plate behind the LHS ball joint has been inserted to correct the camber on that wheel. Definately not original.

Could even have been fitted by a body shop when re-assembling the suspension - after discovering a bent inward suspension tower.

Viv.

Stan, looks like that plate behind the LHS ball joint has been inserted to correct the camber on that wheel. Definately not original.

Could even have been fitted by a body shop when re-assembling the suspension - after discovering a bent inward suspension tower.

Viv.

Yep definitely not original. May well be the need to check the geometry on that spring tower.

Stuart.

Hi Stan,

I'd suggest measuring as many dimensions as you can access - see the Service Manual and look at the Frame Dimensions illustration. Better to check whilst restoring than to discover the problems later . . . . ;)

Cheers,

Alec

I will do that Alec.This car was hit on the right front corner but I dont see any sign that it was hit hard enough to bend the frame. I did some rudimentary checks with the alignment points that I could get at easily and they all look ok. It would not surprise me to find that the ball joint is different on that side or that the 1/8 shim is compensating for wear somewhere else as no effort was spared in finding economical solutions to problems with this TR3.

Stan

At risk of being a Pratt, again, could I put my 2 pennorth in and suggest that the small plate may have been fitted to stop the suspension bottoming out, when jacked up?

Perhaphs the bottom stop had been mislaid by a previouse owner?

just a thought.

Alec I know its almost quarter to 11 again, bugger.

Edited by pfenlon

At risk of being a Pratt, again, could I put my 2 pennorth in and suggest that the small plate may have been fitted to stop the suspension bottoming out, when jacked up?

Perhaphs the bottom stop had been mislaid by a previouse owner?

just a thought.

Alec I know its almost quarter to 11 again, bugger.

Pete, I'm not following how that shim between the ball joint and the upper arm in the LHS picture plays a role in limiting the suspension travel..

Stan