Losing tyre pressure and MPG

I went up to the Revingtion open day, and coming back the steering seemed a bit heavy. When I got home one front tyre was almost flat one rear down to 15 pounds. The only sign of this was the slow speed heavy steering and a slight wander at 80 on the motorway which I put down to the wind. I blew them up last night and this morning they are still at required pressure. This has happened before and I think has to be put down to the Minilite replicas. Funny it happens during use, not when the car is standing. Does anybody have any views.

I also checked the mpg, not realising before the tyre problem, and this on a modified engine was 18.mainly fast motorway. Proper tyre pressures would have helped. David J.

... one front tyre was almost flat one rear down to 15 pounds. This has happened before...

If it's been run at speed so underinflated, be inclined to junk that tyre or at least put it on the back where a blow-out would do less harm.

As to the cause, I'd take it off and look critically at the tyre bead and rim.

Ivor

If the tyre has been run semi flat for a period of time then it should be thrown away as the sidewall will be dramatically comprimised and a lot weaker then it should be - it may not be visible to the naked eye but it can have catastrophic implications - you have been warned! :(

If it's been run at speed so underinflated, be inclined to junk that tyre or at least put it on the back where a blow-out would do less harm.

Ivor

In my unenlightened opinion, running at 15 psi, although probably close to the lower limit, will probably not seriously weaken the tire. Better safe than sorry, though, and tires are relatively cheap. I also wonder if a bow-out is really better on the back than on the front?

Tom

Edited by TomMull

Thanks all for the replies. I suspect the Australian minilites put on by the previous owner. The other pseudo minilites on my 3A do not do this. Ill consign the one that suffered worst to the spare for now. David J.

I went up to the Revingtion open day, and coming back the steering seemed a bit heavy. When I got home one front tyre was almost flat one rear down to 15 pounds. The only sign of this was the slow speed heavy steering and a slight wander at 80 on the motorway which I put down to the wind. I blew them up last night and this morning they are still at required pressure. This has happened before and I think has to be put down to the Minilite replicas. Funny it happens during use, not when the car is standing. Does anybody have any views.

I also checked the mpg, not realising before the tyre problem, and this on a modified engine was 18.mainly fast motorway. Proper tyre pressures would have helped. David J.

Have you checked the tyre valves? Wouldn't be the first time a dodgy valve lets out a slow but steady amount of air.

In my unenlightened opinion, running at 15 psi, although probably close to the lower limit, will probably not seriously weaken the tire. Better safe than sorry, though, and tires are relatively cheap. I also wonder if a bow-out is really better on the back than on the front?

Tom

I would prefer a rear blow out to a front...years ago I had a sudden blow-out of the n/side front, after a tyre fitter had trapped an inner tube (mines got wires) when fitting my new tyres! :o

It happened whilst 'maxed out' in the (then so called)'fast lane' on the M1 south bound, in the right hand bend at the (then called) 'Scratch Woods' Services! :blink:

It took a lot of holding onto, fortunatly the rim didn't touch the road but it understeered straight to the hardshoulder! :blink: And yep other cars even undertook me right up to the inside lane! :angry:

Edited by Denis

I had a very strange thing where two of my tyres would just go flat when parked (different to you I know) But only occasionally and never together. Began to get a bit paranoid about it. It was like I had a phantom tyre letter downer :huh: I would pump it up and it would be fine for weeks, then hey presto one or other would be flat again. Well in February I had new tyres fitted and the state of the old tyre rims had to be seen to be believed. It was like they had been previously removed with a screwdriver and/or pair of pliers. Absolutely ragged. It certainly explained the random pressure loss as it totally depended on the rotational position of the tyre when parked. The tyre shop mentioned that the wheels are unusual in that the tyres are removed and fitted via the inner rim instead of the outer rim? Or the other way round. I don't remember. (I have standard 5.5"). Well clearly some bozo made a right dogs breakfast of it.

Possibly somthing similar?