Wiper not parking...

Any suggestions as to why my park function is not working at all? I stripped and rebuilt the wiper motor so it basically works fine, the connections appear to be correct. The previous owner (back in 1978) had disconnected the park wire and stuffed it inside the body and fitted a variable control in the dash...

4465202221_0f245af484_z.jpg?zz=1

4465978528_b84e903f8e_z.jpg?zz=1

Hi Christian,

the 'auto park' works by having an arm inside the motor running along and earthing track.

The earthing track is connect to the wire that comes out the top of the gearbox.

When you turn the wipers off the motor will still be connected through to earth by this earthing track and wire.

The track is apprx 340 degrees of copper. You align the gap in the track with the stopping position.

Your variable wiper control may not have this facility.

Roger

So you replaced that red wire from the motor to the drive head and assured it is well connected and not shorted to ground? As I recall, if it is shorted to ground then the wipers will not park (or even shut off).

Hi, thanks for the replies. It does have the internal parking contacts you mention. I connected the red wire coming out of the motor body to the contact on top of the gear housing (the one which links to the parking mechanism).

If you look at the first photo you can see the contact on top of the gear housing and the wire (which is very dirty) coming out of the top of the motor body - these I connected together...

The park function relies on the park slider and slip ring under the dome being in the right orientation to each other. If this is not the case, the wipers won't park in the right place.

It works by holding the red wire (on the dome) to ground until the slider reaches the gap in the rotating slip ring (connected to the gearwheel under the dome).

At the gap the slider disconnects the motor ground. You need to ensure that the sliding connector attached to the dome wire is correctly rotated to engage the gap in a suitable location to park the wipers correctly.

To adjust this, you loosen the small screws holding the dome in place and rotate the dome (a little at a time) until it is correctly positioned. Then re-tighten the screws.

Another problem that can occur is if the slider is bent away from the contact ring, or is too greasy to make good contact. Sometimes the red wire is damaged and this will stop it from working too.

TT

Indeed I do know what a pig it can be, but if it doesn't park at all, you can identify where the problem is by using a piece of wire from any suitable ground to the dome connector.

With the ignition on, and the wipers switched off somewhere on the windscreen.

Connect the grounded wire to the dome connector. If the wipers park, then the red wire is dead, if not then you will need to dismantle the unit.

Good luck

TT

I suppose you have an unwanted earth connection on that motor.

Somewhere the mounts do touch metal to metal or the bonnet cone does touch the motor with its thread.

wiper2.jpg

Nothing else could cause that.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by MadMarx