Attaching the front wings

Hi All,

The collective wisdom of the Forum and the books all say paint the body with the wings off (because the paint will crack over the sealant otherwise). So when I put the painted wings back on the painted body, the heads of the screws and bolts, plus the washers, will be unpainted. What do you do about this? If you paint them, how do you do it without mucking up the new paint on the panels?

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by paul83

on the TR4/4A they are not painted.

Both my 1962 TR4s, one certainly original, the other almost certainly,

had painted-over bolts for the front wing fixings.

I don't know about later 4s/4As although I would be surprised if the

factory changed their practice.

Perhaps yours have been replaced?

AlanR

Hi All,

The collective wisdom of the Forum and the books all say paint the body with the wings off (because the paint will crack over the sealant otherwise). So when I put the painted wings back on the painted body, the heads of the screws and bolts, plus the washers, will be unpainted. What do you do about this? If you paint them, how do you do it without mucking up the new paint on the panels?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

All the shells were painted from primer to body colour, with the wings, doors etc fitted from the factory

Regarding the painting of the wing mounting bolts and the "D" washers, you can carefully brush paint them when they are fitted or better still push them all into a piece of cardboard so they are upright them spray them with primer/colour paint, either with the washers on or off. Make sure not to apply too much, or the paint will crack. Then carefully bolt them on to the wings when fully dried.

I hope this helps,

Dave