Trip odometer reset knob

Hello,

The knob for resetting the trip odometer in my speedo is missing and the reset shaft is broken. I am trying now to machine a new shaft and a new knob.

Can somebody tell me the dimensions of that knob? A complementary photo would be of great benefit too.

Alternatively, do you know where I can get one of these?

Thanks in advance.

Jesús

Jesus,

As it happens, I am in the market for one of these and was going to make my own, which is why I kept this photo.

Rgds Ian

I posted this recently but here it is again. The black sleeve goes over the shaft. The shaft is hollow at the end and engages with a smaller diameter shaft coming out of the speedo. There is a small hole in each and and the two shafts are loosely secured by a small pin. Often the smaller speedo shaft fractures where that pin hole is, rendering that shaft useless until repaired.

trip-reset-2.jpg

Thank you for the photos and the comments.

After posting my request I found this knob in ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170600394542

I have purchased one and will try to adapt it. It seems to be very similar to that one in your photo, Stan.

There are several available for sale, so Ian, perhaps it is worth to give it a try, for only a couple of pounds.

The shaft coming from the speedo is indeed broken at the hole, but this is a repair I can handle easily.

Jesus

Thank you for the photos and the comments.

After posting my request I found this knob in ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170600394542

I have purchased one and will try to adapt it. It seems to be very similar to that one in your photo, Stan.

There are several available for sale, so Ian, perhaps it is worth to give it a try, for only a couple of pounds.

The shaft coming from the speedo is indeed broken at the hole, but this is a repair I can handle easily.

Jesus

Thanks for this Jesus, I will buy on and adapt it.

Rgds Ian

Thanks for this Jesus, I will buy on and adapt it.

Rgds Ian

These seem to go missing regularly. FYI, I bought one from a Triumph motorcycle, identical except for the length (7 1/2 inches). Shortening requires a bit of silver solder or braze. Tom

Thanks for your photo, Don.

Ian, did you try to install the knob from ebay? Since my knob will take some days to arrive to Spain, I have been playing with some scrap material and managed to put together a provisional knob, learning form Stan's pictures.

The ensemble is made up with a piece of starter cable sheath (cut to the appropriate length to be operated from under the dash) and the knob is one of the knurled screws that you can find in the back of every computer box (at least the older ones). Both the knurled screw and the trip reset shaft can be persuaded to go into the cable sheath with some force and remain there by interference, without the need of a pin.

Not a very elegant solution, I recognise, but an easy and cheap temporary solution.

Jesús

post-2902-0-12841600-1297412933_thumb.jpg

post-2902-0-12841600-1297412933_thumb.jpg

Ian, did you try to install the knob from ebay? Since my knob will take some days to arrive to Spain, I have been playing with some scrap material and managed to put together a provisional knob, learning form Stan's pictures.

Not yet Jesus, It arrived yesterday and from an inspection looked OK so I put it with the speedo for fitting later. I had other issues I was dealing with yesterday - like fabricating a bulkhead heater inlet fitting with a very tight bend on it so that the feed pipe from the head can connect onto it without fouling the bowl of the rearmost carb. (Note I am using HS6 carbs on a TR4a manifold and the float chamber is on the opposite side of the carb to an H6 - or at least it is for the rear one of the pair that I have got hold of)

Rgds Ian

PS I like your homemade speedo knob - that should be published in the TR Action

Thanks for your photo, Don.

The ensemble is made up with a piece of starter cable sheath (cut to the appropriate length to be operated from under the dash) and the knob is one of the knurled screws that you can find in the back of every computer box (at least the older ones). Both the knurled screw and the trip reset shaft can be persuaded to go into the cable sheath with some force and remain there by interference, without the need of a pin.

Not a very elegant solution, I recognise, but an easy and cheap temporary solution.

Jesús

Nice job Jesús. I assume that is a section of choke cable ?.

Stan