Help please - Tr4 front suspension

I’m in the process of removing the front suspension from the chassis and cannot for the life of me get the lower wishbone arms to break free from the trunnion, the workshop manual just says ‘unscrew the nuts and remove retainer washers, seals and the lower wishbone arms’ - Can I hell!!

I came up with a cunning plan that involved bridging an 8” clamp across the outer suspension arm assembly and slowing applying pressure to the head of the trunnion fulcrum with a view to pushing in back though the suspension arm – that only resulted in the heavy duty clamp going off like a rocket and a trip to the first aid drawer! :(

The only thing I haven’t done is apply heat – which I’m reluctant to do given it is an important part of the suspension with a number of different metal types involved.

Anyone been here before – am I missing something?

Thanks

John

We're assuming that you've removed the inner-end (chassis end) nuts as well...

Just checking the obvious first ;)

Other than that, lots of penetrating oil and cycle the suspension up and down to try and free-off any corrosion that's binding it all together.

Sounds like you'll be renewing the bushes and trunnion anyway.

Have fun...

Ade

Thanks Ade,

Yes, the inner brackets are removed and the bushes are moving freely at the inner end - it's just tight as hell on the outer bushes - I've added loads of release oil over the last couple of days and tried moving the link & fulcrum but it really is hard work to get any movement at all, I'm resigned to the new fulcrum and was planning on all new bushes anyway but I really didn't want to damage the lower wishbone arms.

I suspect it's because the car's been sat in the same position for 20 plus years on what looks like new (but unused/lubricated bushes)and they have become seized in one set position.

It's funny how one simple little job in the big scheme of things suddenly manages to hold up everything else!

John

John its called rustiction, get a good pair of leather gloves a lump ammer and shout Geronimo........................................knock the fock out of it for a good bit after generous amounts of WD40 or equivalent.

If it comes off, go and brag to the Mrs of your new found strength, tell her to do the other side, then kick the dog out of the way when going through the front door to the pub, to announce your new found strenth.

Always keep the first aid kit nearby though, for if it doesnt come adrift you may resort to self harm, which is usually regretted almost immediatly afterwards.

Signed a scarred for life loser, been there and sympathise.

John its called rustiction, get a good pair of leather gloves a lump ammer and shout Geronimo........................................knock the fock out of it for a good bit after generous amounts of WD40 or equivalent.

If it comes off, go and brag to the Mrs of your new found strength, tell her to do the other side, then kick the dog out of the way when going through the front door to the pub, to announce your new found strenth.

Always keep the first aid kit nearby though, for if it doesnt come adrift you may resort to self harm, which is usually regretted almost immediatly afterwards.

Signed a scarred for life loser, been there and sympathise.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nice one Peter - I'll have an extra shredded wheat for brekkies and head for the garage with a new sense of purpose.......after I've finished the blessed self assessment forms that is! :(

At last - one down and one to go!

Having now managed to separate the trunnion from the outer bottom suspension arms it appears to be nothing more than the fact the bush in the end of the suspension arm has bonded with the trunnion - I started to get some movement with brute force and eventually once there was a gap I was able to fit a ball joint splitter to finish the job.

Still I'll have a go at the other side tomorrow but looking at a couple of ripples in the chassis members I think new trunnions are the least of my problems! :(

Edited by Chilliman