RHD versus LHD rear suspension

Hi guys,

Some blokes at the TCF can't figure out the geometry of their rear suspension on a live axle TR3 or TR4. Would you believe that the french automobile technical review (RTA, local bible for professionnal mechanics) show the leaf with extra thickness (two short bits of leaf spring) on the passenger side?

Obviously a nonsense, IMO. I think it's either due to the very incomplete changes done for LHD factory production (no changes in bonnet bulge or handbrake sides) or to a misconception in the RTA manual. What do you think?

I told the guy with the reinforced passenger side I would inquire with the TRR. In the mean I advised him to date hugely overweight Oktober Fest Queens in full security. :ph34r:

Cheers,

Badfrog

Edited by Badfrog

AFIK US market TR3/3a/4`s had the left side spring with the extra leaf/distance piece added. To cope with the slightly larger framed drivers ;) .

Stuart

The distance piece is correct on the passenger side. The axle runs OVER the spring, so the distance piece LOWERS the car on that side, meaning that the drivers' side is now higher at rest since the two springs are the same rating. When I was redoing my rear suspension, it took me a while to figure this out.

I believe that the rationale for the spacer was two-fold: the driver would be on his own most of the time (this was the 1960s, so it was likely a he) and when there were two aboard, the driver likely weighed more than the passenger. And maybe any spirited driving, when a level car was deemed more important, occurred mostly solo. TR4s did not have an anti-sway bar as standard, so "level" was relative anyway. So a LHD TR4 tilted about 1/2" to the right when it rolled off the assembly line.

The unequal springs were a bit of an oddity, paradox even - they only appeared from TS26904, rear springs had been identical previously. Then disappearing from rhd cars at CT2828 in favour of equal springs once again, but continuing on lhd cars until CT23382 before reverting to matched springs.

There must have been a logic, but what ?

Cheers,

Alec

I reckon that a harder rear spring on the drivers side (RHD) was specified to reduce the effect of torque reaction on a solid rear axle. That is the tendency for the driver's side rear wheel to lift on acceleration. In the UK a fat driver would futher help to reduce this effect though in the US the opposite would be true. It is just a thought but it seems reasonable.

Tim

Reading this post, I wonder if this could be the problem on my car. It's a US import TR4 that's been converted to RHD. The rear passenger side does sit about an inch or so higher than the driver's side. I did hear about this a while back but after a cursory check couldn't see any obvious difference in the springs. What exactly do I need to look for to tell if the springs are different? Is it just a case of extra leaves or spacers, or do I need to get my tape measure out?

Steve

Steve, look above the top leaf of the spring, where it clamps between the axle housing and the shocker arm plate. There were two short sections of spring (as said, only on the pass side) that acted as a lowering block. They were held in place on top of the spring by the centre bolt.

It has been speculated this caused each spring to have a different rate, but not so. The lowering block was contained within the clamp, so it had no effect on the spring. Manuals all say the TR2-4 spring rate was 128 in lbs for both leaf springs.

Probably a gimmick about it levelling out the car when travelling one up, as driver weights vastly differ. Or maybe to level up the headlights ?.

Regards,

Viv.

Steve, look above the top leaf of the spring, where it clamps between the axle housing and the shocker arm plate. There were two short sections of spring (as said, only on the pass side) that acted as a lowering block. They were held in place on top of the spring by the centre bolt.

It has been speculated this caused each spring to have a different rate, but not so. The lowering block was contained within the clamp, so it had no effect on the spring. Manuals all say the TR2-4 spring rate was 128 in lbs for both leaf springs.

Probably a gimmick about it levelling out the car when travelling one up, as driver weights vastly differ. Or maybe to level up the headlights ?.

Regards,

Viv.

Thanks Viv - will take a look. If it does turn out to be the case on my car and I want to try and level it out, could I remove the extra bits or would I need to replace the springs? Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve, I believe you can just move the shims over to the other side. As Viv indicated, the shims have a hole in the middle that fits on the centre bolt of the spring. When I was rebuilding my rear suspension, I thought the shims were on the wrong side until I realized that the spring is BELOW the axle. The springs rates are the same on each side, and as Viv and MadMarx said, the shims do not affect spring rate, only the height of the body relative to the axle. The driver's side should sit higher when the car is empty.

Yes, they easy way is to swap leafs.

Thanks to everybody for their help. Quoting Alec:

"The unequal springs only appeared from TS26904, rear springs had been identical previously. Then disappearing from RHD cars at CT2828 in favour of equal springs once again, but continuing on LHD cars until CT23382 before reverting to matched springs. "

Here is my conclusion:

Moss sells a unique ref. for TR2, TR3 and TR4 (to CT 23382. This pair contains spacers for the PASSENGER side. Moss reasons are probably stock simplification.

Moss: http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewP ... dexID=2357

1) So, basic setup : 2 leaves ref. 208636

2) To rebuild the old system (TR2, TR3 et TR upto CT2828) with different leaves but no spacers: one driverside leaf ref. 208636 for the passenger side and one harder driverside leaf ref. 301017 for the driver side.

Badfrog, you live, you learn.

Edited by Badfrog