seating position

Chaps,

Finally got the drivers seat bolted into the jalopy last night, but I noticed one problem, I only just fit in the car!

The original steering wheel is almost touching my legs. Now the car is a '62 but came with re-upholstered seats that are from a 4A.

Have I buggered something up when I refitted the steering column or is this normal? I didn't have this problem in my TR3a!

Paul

Chaps,

Finally got the drivers seat bolted into the jalopy last night, but I noticed one problem, I only just fit in the car!

The original steering wheel is almost touching my legs. Now the car is a '62 but came with re-upholstered seats that are from a 4A.

Have I buggered something up when I refitted the steering column or is this normal? I didn't have this problem in my TR3a!

Paul

Paul,

You can adjust the steering column foward. :rolleyes:

Slacken the nuts to the clamps that hold the column under the dash. One behind dash the other down

on bulkhead. Undo the clamp on the steering column in engine bay, then you should be able to move the column

forward towards the dash, then do up all the bolts.

Cheers

Guy

Anyone know how I managed to post the question twice??

Paul

Keyboard stutter ;)

Stuart.

Did as described and moved the column as far forward as possible. Now I fit. Still a little tighter than the 3a thought.

As always thanks for the help.

Paul

I always have that problem of less room in later cars than the sidescreen ones. I have a Herald dished steering wheel which does help a bit though with it set as far forward as possible. MX5 seats help as well.

Stuart.

Cheers Stuart, I'll keep that in mind.

I'm a bit of an originality freak normally,but I'm considering different seats and a smaller wheel on this car.

Paul

The Herald wheel looks very similar and isnt easily distinguishable from original.If you know anyone who has MX seats then go and try them as you will be pleasantly surprised. MK2 type with separate headrests dont look as out of place as the earlier MK1 with them built in.

Stuart.

The Herald wheel looks very similar and isnt easily distinguishable from original.If you know anyone who has MX seats then go and try them as you will be pleasantly surprised. MK2 type with separate headrests dont look as out of place as the earlier MK1 with them built in.

Stuart.

I fitted separate headrest MX seats to my son's TR6 this year before Le Mans, recovered in leather, they are brilliant. Even good in the heat, if you were there you know what I mean. Agree with Stuart, in the 4 to 6 cars they look just fine. JJC

Stuart.

How about adding a picture of the Herald steering wheel sometime Stuart so that we can see the difference in it's dish.

Paul

How about adding a picture of the Herald steering wheel sometime Stuart so that we can see the difference in it's dish.

Paul

Will do in the morning.

Stuart.

Pictures as requested. Wheel is 15".

Stuart.

Very interesting. I'd been contemplating buying a 15" dished moto-lite steering wheel to go with my Mk2 MX5 seats and was putting off due to the combined cost of the wheel and boss. This gives me another option to consider.

Of particular interest to you Stuart is the attached photograph of an unusual 'seating postiton'. Archie was hugging the rear wheel arch in the huff as he'd been thrown off the passengers knee. He likes to watch out of the windscreen but his weight and front paws balancing on your knee caps gets a bit much after a while.

Paul

post-1832-0-36936900-1291835569_thumb.jpg

post-1832-0-36936900-1291835569_thumb.jpg

Very interesting. I'd been contemplating buying a 15" dished moto-lite steering wheel to go with my Mk2 MX5 seats and was putting off due to the combined cost of the wheel and boss. This gives me another option to consider.

Of particular interest to you Stuart is the attached photograph of an unusual 'seating postiton'. Archie was hugging the rear wheel arch in the huff as he'd been thrown off the passengers knee. He likes to watch out of the windscreen but his weight and front paws balancing on your knee caps gets a bit much after a while.

Paul

As there is only me and Albert he has the seat all to himself but if anyone is riding with me then he lays in the passenger footwell with his head between their legs :):wacko:

Herald wheels are very often cheap to find, if they do need any refurbing then a coat of good quality black cellulose works wonders and lasts for years.

Stuart.

Hi Paul,

I'm 6"1 for 200 lbs. I installed buckets seats, a 14" inches Mountney wheel and sawed off a bit of the X-piece under the dash. This being done, I can drive in a semi "italian gorilla" position which is the classic composure for fast road driving. Arms slighltly folded for max accuracy in steering. Avoid straight arms and legs.

Cheers,

Badfrog

Coming from the opposite end; I can reach the wheel OK but could do with a femur graft to get to the pedals properly.

When I recover from the clutch replacement I might ask Santa for a pair of moon boots or platform shoes.

Did shave a bit off the front of the seat runners, gained 0.25 inches, but heel and toe down changes are out of the question.