fitting a new clutch

The new clutch pressure plate has arrived and I have just learnt that the pretty little paint mark on the side of it tells me that it is the 'heavy' side.

My old clutch alignment scratch on the flywheel falls into the 'hip pocket in a singlet' category as far as fitting the new clutch goes, and there are no paint marks on the flywheel from 33 years ago.

However there is, on the perimeter of the flywheel a small stamped arrow.

Should I assume that the arrow is telling me that the heaviest part of the flywheel is on that side?

Without that advice my intention is to fit the clutch with its paint mark as close as I can to 180deg opposite the arrow.

All that is for tomorrow, so if the cogniscenti advise that I'm heading for (unbalanced) disaster there is still time to get me out of the poo.

The new clutch pressure plate has arrived and I have just learnt that the pretty little paint mark on the side of it tells me that it is the 'heavy' side.

My old clutch alignment scratch on the flywheel falls into the 'hip pocket in a singlet' category as far as fitting the new clutch goes, and there are no paint marks on the flywheel from 33 years ago.

However there is, on the perimeter of the flywheel a small stamped arrow.

Should I assume that the arrow is telling me that the heaviest part of the flywheel is on that side?

Without that advice my intention is to fit the clutch with its paint mark as close as I can to 180deg opposite the arrow.

All that is for tomorrow, so if the cogniscenti advise that I'm heading for (unbalanced) disaster there is still time to get me out of the poo.

The stamped arrow should be TDC.

Stuart.

The stamped arrow should be TDC.

Excuse my ignorance, but TDC of (1) what and (2) why?

[Just hope I never need to know (other than out of interest), but like Roger, I suspect I've got it wrong in the past]

PS - I guess this pre-supposes that the flywheel has also been oriented correctly if removed/refitted?

Edited by BrianC

Excuse my ignorance, but TDC of (1) what and (2) why?

[Just hope I never need to know (other than out of interest), but like Roger, I suspect I've got it wrong in the past]

PS - I guess this pre-supposes that the flywheel has also been oriented correctly if removed/refitted?

It should be TDC of No1 cylinder.

Stuart.

When/if you rebuilt the engine, did you get it balanced without a clutch cover?

If so, I'd get the cover balanced separately.

Ivor

Hi LJ,

your coloured spot is a problem. I had never noticed them/it before. Does it really relate to the 'heavy side'.

If it does and you have a balanced engine/crank where would you put it!

If it does and you don't have a balanced engine how would you know where to out it!!

If it didn't have the coloured spot would you be concerned!!!

Unless somebody comes up with the definative answer just fit it and as you say 'think of England'

Mine has just down about 70K miles on an unbalanced engine with the plate fitted as per chance.

Roger

Hi LJ,

your coloured spot is a problem. I had never noticed them/it before. Does it really relate to the 'heavy side'.

I found a few sources that indicated that was the case.

If it does and you have a balanced engine/crank where would you put it!

If it does and you don't have a balanced engine how would you know where to out it!!

If it didn't have the coloured spot would you be concerned!!!

Can't supply decent answers to any of the above.

Unless somebody comes up with the definative answer just fit it and as you say 'think of England'

Mine has just down about 70K miles on an unbalanced engine with the plate fitted as per chance.

Fitted it this arvo. Thought of England every now and then.