Strange random 'dinking' noise from bottom end...

I fully rebuilt my engine a few months back including new liners and pistons and started it again on Saturday after replacing the starter solenoid. There is a strange metallic 'dinking' noise coming from around the bottom end but it is random and in no way relates to the revs. It almost sounds like a piece of metal being picked up in the sump and dropped randomly? Any ideas?

Hi,

I would guess the timing chain tensioner blade has broken and keeps getting picked up by the chain.

You may also hear the chain clattering about inside the cover if you can do the 'mechanics stethescope' routine on it - Metal bar on the timing cover and the other end in your ear!

Quite a common failure and a (relatively) straightforward fix if it hasn't damaged anything else.

Usual caveats apply

Chris

Thanks Chris, it was a thought... I've only started the engine a few times so hopefully no damage done if so. I did actually reused the original tensioner (or chain - or both - can't remember) as they seemed better quality than the new so maybe a new / old reaction has occurred. Will be careful Roger.

Another possibility is the half moon shaped plate covering the bottom of the gearbox behind the sump.

If this plate is installed the wrong way round, the raised areas can touch the flywheel randomly depending on the position of the crankshaft end float.

Check and ensure the raised areas are outward, its easier than getting to the tensioner!!

Cheers

Graeme

One possibility, especially with a noise at idle, is a worn key on the distributor driveshaft. I changed the key and driveshaft, but my noise did turn out to be caused by a wobbly stud for the timing chain tensioner spring, which allowed the chain to eventually wear a hole in the timing chain cover, leading to a major oil leak.