So Close, And Yet...

All,

After the long summer lay-off, the final rounds here in Ontario come thick and fast. Round 8 of 9 was this past weekend, just two weeks after round 7. With the scores sitting interestingly poised before the start, we knew we could wrap up the championship with one round still to go IF we were able to finish in the top three and ahead of our direct championship rivals.

The Open Road Rally took place about 4.5 hours east of Toronto, close to Ottawa and around the Lanark Highlands area. Due to the distance and a start time of 11.30am, we elected to drive up on Friday afternoon - through some disconcerting snow (in NOVEMBER!!!) and into weather that would be a few degrees below zero overnight. However, the car started ok on a very crisp and sunny Saturday morning (once I'd been able to get the frozen doors open).

Anyway, long story short(ish), this rally was all about the roads and driving. Navigation was quite easy compared to most but we knew there would be a number of VERY tight sections through the highlands on twisty, gravel roads (wet and/or icy maybe) with many blind crests to slow us down. As usual, the TR4 dealt well with everything that was thrown at it. In fact, down the very tightest section, although we started off well behind the set average speed (64 km/h; 40+ mph), after a few kilometers my navigator was saying "ok, you're 5 seconds ahead of where we need to be......6 seconds.....7 seconds ahead...." I was happy with this as I knew that the road could tighten up further at any moment. However................... It never really got the better of us and (of course) I arrived at the next secret check point early. Picked up an early penalty of 6 seconds. Actually I was quite proud of this at the time. The came the results...

Over the 4.5 hours of the rally, both us and our main competitors picked up total penaties of 42 seconds. Tied for first place in the Novice class! Ah, but the tie-breaker: who scored the greater number of "zeros" at check points? TR4: 4 zeros, Mazda: 5 zeros. Bugger. If I had just been a little bit slower on that tightest section.........

So, we now go to the final round on December 4th leading by 1 point. If we beat the Mazda/Ottawa guys, we are champions. If they beat us by one place, we share the championship. If they beat us by more than one place, they will overtake us at the line.

It's been a good rivalry so far and we have a great deal of affection for each other and uch mutual respect. Whoever wins, we will be happy with the season. But we'll be even happier if it's US that win in a 49-year-old car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by TorontoTim

Tim - Which part of Ontario will this up-coming rally pass through ?

Hi Don,

It starts in Georgetown, west of Toronto, and I would think it would head north. But I'll see if I can find out a bit more than that (rally planners are not very forthcoming with their routes ahead of time).

Tim

And the TR is taking centre stage in the promotional flyers for the final rally of the season...

http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/xx157/umbradog/?action=view&current=FirstFrostFlyer.jpg

Nice one Tim :)

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...