Which has a pertronix ignition and Lucas coil, and the engine

is otherwise conventional. Unfortunately, the NGK BPHS plugs

are not readily available in my area.

If I have to go with Champion, which are appropriate: L87YC

or RL87YC? The Champion site recommends RL87YC, but everyone

seems to recommend L87YC.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have managed to track down NGK BPR7HS (and 6HS) at Canadian Tire, of all places. Now, I bought the last 4 that they had in a huge Canadian Tire in Toronto, but you still might be able to find some there. I can't remember off the top of my head what the "R" stands for but, as far as I know, it's not material.

If it's any help at all, I'll ask around when I'm there next and pick some up for you if you like. I think they were about $5 each.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Steve,

I have managed to track down NGK BPR7HS (and 6HS) at Canadian Tire, of all places. Now, I bought the last 4 that they had in a huge Canadian Tire in Toronto, but you still might be able to find some there. I can't remember off the top of my head what the "R" stands for but, as far as I know, it's not material.

If it's any help at all, I'll ask around when I'm there next and pick some up for you if you like. I think they were about $5 each.

Cheers,

Tim

I think R is for resistor and that there is one in them for suppression purposes. I think you're right to stick with NGK, their numbering is easier to understand and they were the first plug manufacturers to have a wide enough heat range to cure all sorts of problems on AH3000s, BSA Gold Stars, Lotus Cortinas and many more. In the old days Champions were a disaster area, so I still avoid them.

Ash

I have managed to track down NGK BPR7HS .... at Canadian Tire, of all places. Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

In my book, NGK BP7HS are the best except for the equivalent index NGK BP HIX iridium series which are even better. Champions are not as bad as Alec says, at least for TR4s.

Badfrog

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did try the NGK Iridium plugs a while back (NGK BPR6HIX), in an attempt to remedy tuning issues. They did not make a discernible difference. The difference came when I solved the underlying issues. Once solved, I moved to Champion as they are readily available - mail order notwithstanding.

My main question was about the difference between the two Champion plugs, and thanks for the insights everyone.

I would like to try the non-Iridium NGK plugs, but have some conflicting info. The NGK site recommends BPR6HS, yet some of you have recommended BPR7HS. What's the difference, and which is correct?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

the number indicates the temperature 'range'. 6 is normal. 5 and 7 run hotter or cooler (not sure which way!! :blink: )

If you suffer from plug fouling then get a hotter plug.

If you have run-on etc the a cooler running plug may be better.

Roger

I have been running the BPR6HS until recently, but as I tend to drive the TR4 fairly hard and use the full rev range (and rally it), I have recently moved to BPR7HS which are better suited, so they say, to "fast road"-type use.

I'm finding these 7's to be very good and to have killed off the occasional stutter I had around 3,000 revs under hard acceleration. Having said that, they don't like it when the engine's cold unless I keep the choke out.

Unless you drive hard, I'd start with 6's and see.