Wheel wobble (not wire wheels)

Suggestions gratefully received: the driver's side rear wheel of my 4A has a distinct wobble (I have seen it going round on a rolling road during tuning and boy does it look buckled). The alloy wheel however is new and has been checked and is not distorted or buckled or anything else likely to cause the distortion. Likewise the tyre. So what should I be looking at now? Hub? half-shaft? wheel bearing? UJs? problem with the trailing arm? Is there a likely cause which would make the wheel appear buckled?

JPH

If the wheel centre is a little too small it may not be sitting down fully on the hub/drum.

The hub & driveshaft can't be out of true, otherwise the brake drum would be rubbing on the shoes or backplate.

Ivor

The stub axle (you know, the one that breaks) may be bent due to a serious knock.

Everything on the rear end, if out of alignment, will make the wheel point in an incorrect direction.

But a bent stub axle will allow it to rotate about the wrong centre - hence wobble.

Roger

The brake drum may not be sitting square ? causing the whole wheel assembly to be bolted on 'off true' ??

Or some studs pulled out or loose in the T/A :o

Stuart.

I haven't come across a TR hub incorrectly machined, but I have come across alloy wheels that appeared pukka but were in fact just enough out in the centre to cause a wobble, as Ivor suggests. If you haven't already done so, and the n/s/r wheels is fine, then swap the rear wheels over simply to eliminate any remaining possibility of the wheel being the cause . . . .

Cheers,

Alec