LHD to RHD Conversion & Wipers

Hello

The guys that are MOTing my TR4 are telling me that the wipers are not working properly. The car is a LHD to RHD conversion and this is the first time the car has been MOTd. Not quite sure what it is but have read before somewhere that you need to change the wiper arms or do something about the parking of the wipers? Can someone let me know what I have to do with the wipers when converting from LHD to RHD? The MOT station are suggesting to turn the miper motor upside down which I am 100% sure is not the solution!

Thanks

Myles

Myles

I'm not sure what the solution is - I'm sure that other more knowledgable members of the forum will reply.

My car is also a LHD to RHD conversion and my wipers park on the passenger side, which is the opposite to an original RHD car.

They've been like that for at least the 14 years that I've owned it, and it has never been a problem at MOT time. In fact, it sailed through a MOT this morning :D

I wonder is your MOT tester being to pedantic (or mine too lax :unsure: )

Regards

Peter

I haven't actually converted a wiper motor on an lhd car to work on a

rhd car, so maybe I'm not the best one to give advice, but . . . .

On the top of the wiper motor, there is a dished top cover with a wire

attached.

This sets the parking position by cutting off the power when the wipers

are in a certain position.

If you move this round (you will need to slacken the three bolts that

secure the flat top plate) you can change the parking position.

You would also need to change the cranked wiper arm for a rhd drive

cranked wiper arm as these are handed.

AlanR

I would have thought it would be more convouluted than that as the wheels in the wheelboxes need to turn the opposite way when wiping from Right to left than when the wipe from Left to right. It sounds like you need to find a different MOT station as I thought the wipers just need to wipe the windscreen no matter which way they park.

As an aside on my TR4 which had a dead wiper motor I used a motor from a MK3 Spitfire along with its wheelboxes, it was a fraction of the price of a "real TR" wiper motor and covered almost the same area 2 or 3° difference. It also wiped the opposite way to the TR wiper.

Whatever you do test out the action without the wipers on the car cause if they wipe opposite to the way you think with the arms on then they will scar the paint on the bonnet

Cheers

Alan

If he is relying on this:

"c. a wiper installed for the use of the driver does not operate over an area of the windscreen large enough to give the driver an adequate view of the road (through the windscreen) to the left and right sides of the vehicle. as well as to the front."

(http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_820.htm)

it seems to me to be rather subjective.

Ask the tester what section he is failing you on and why.

John

I haven't actually converted a wiper motor on an lhd car to work on a

rhd car, so maybe I'm not the best one to give advice, but . . . .

On the top of the wiper motor, there is a dished top cover with a wire

attached.

This sets the parking position by cutting off the power when the wipers

are in a certain position.

If you move this round (you will need to slacken the three bolts that

secure the flat top plate) you can change the parking position.

You would also need to change the cranked wiper arm for a rhd drive

cranked wiper arm as these are handed.

AlanR

This is the way to change parking position, from someone who has done it! Just don't tighten every thing up till you have got the park place just right.

I think your MOT guy is being very picky, it doesn''t change the functionality of the wipers as the swept area of the screen is no different which ever side the arms park.

Good idea on the Sptfire parts. The Spitfire/GT6 screen is the same as the TR, and so far as I know the various MKs of spitfire/GT6 tracked the contemporary TRs and bits are fairly interchangeable back and forth. Certainly I have Spitfire electric wash wipe switch on my 4 with TR6 2 speed motor. [it takes the place of the washer button with same fitting leaving me a free switch position for eventual spotlights or something.

Mike

The MOT station are suggesting to turn the miper motor upside down

which I am 100% sure is not the solution!

The rack just works as a push/pull operation.

Turn it upside down and it becomes a pull/push operation?

OK, now I see!!

That's modern 'mechanics' for you.

AlanR