Which Electric Fan Set Up --- Is Best.

I have been fiddling about with the Kenlowe fan fitted to the front of my radiator,on my 1966 4a, it seems to be

made up from odds and sods although it did work ok till recently, the fan blades are straight and I notice that the new ones are banana shape.

It has a relay(but the horn goes through this as well) and it has an on/off thermostat fitted to a metal tube on the bottom hose.

I am considering replacing the whole lot with a new Kenlowe kit.if I do this i would like some advice

1. Should the fan be fitted in front of the rad (Blow) or behind (Suck)?

2. Would a manual thermostat be better?

3. I would like an overide switch is this a good idea?

4. Are the Kenlowe fans the best proposition?

5. Are they easy to fit?

6. Who does the best deal?

Regards Lee

Hello,

I had a Kenlowe fan fitted with the overide switch, the fan was fitted in the shroud in front of the radiator, I changed it for a Revotec fan as I liked the neat installation and did not bother with the overide, I have noticed that the fan runs for a lot less time with the revotec fan than the kenlowe, I can only assume it sucks far more air through than the kenlowe blew through. It is the same thermostatic switch as well, it is more expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for,

Cheers,

Andrew

I'm also have the Revotec fan (sucker) using the custom made brackets they supply. Mine's triggered via a 88 degree thermo switch in the down tube, but also have an override switch via a switch over relay. As David says, CLM weather was 35 degrees and barely got above half-way on the temp gauge in traffic.

Hi Lee,

suckers tend to be more efficient than blowers (or was it the other way round :blink: )

Whatever you get make sure it is an enclosed fan and it is positioned up against the core (to stop any spill from the blade tips).

Revington do some nice units (Pacet etc) that simply strap to the core that is simplicity itself.

Mine has been in place for 12 years now without a problem.

If the thermostat is set correctly (and working) then there should be no need for an override switch - however belt and braces always feels good.

The fans take a fair current so feed it through a relay.

Roger

Thanks for all your help / advice I have decided to use the blower with fixed thermostat (would like an overide but unless anyone can tell me how to wire it up) will leave well enough alone.

This is why the forum is so good I've never heard of Revotec till now so I,m sure it will be of interest to anyone doing a rebuild.

Thanks to all 'keep cool' Lee

I know it's corny but I liked it.

I'm also have the Revotec fan (sucker) using the custom made brackets they supply. Mine's triggered via a 88 degree thermo switch in the down tube, but also have an override switch via a switch over relay. As David says, CLM weather was 35 degrees and barely got above half-way on the temp gauge in traffic.

Badshead, any chance of a simple wiring diagram showing the position of the overide switch?

Cheers Lee

Hi Lee,

for the override switch you are simply supplying a 12V feed to the live side of the fan after the thermostat switch.

Thus you have a switch with one side to +12V the other side to the fan.

If you are taking your 12V through the ignition switch put a relay between the override switch and fan.

Roger

Hi Lee,

for the override switch you are simply supplying a 12V feed to the live side of the fan after the thermostat switch.

Thus you have a switch with one side to +12V the other side to the fan.

If you are taking your 12V through the ignition switch put a relay between the override switch and fan.

Roger

THANKS ROGER SOUNDS SIMPLE ENOUGH,WILL DO THIS MONDAY

BEST REGARDS LEE D