started her up..............however

Hi everyone

I have today for the first time fired up my Tr during the rebuild and driven it up and down the drive just to ensure things are working before I attach all the rest of the body bits. All was ok other than for a leak in the water pump

I have attached a link to moss .com so someone might be able to identfy my problem.

on the side of the water pump is a small hole, I have no idea what it does or if it is supposed to have a screw/bolt/bung in it. On the moss catalogue and the manuals nothing is shown in this weee hole. On the link to the moss page the hole appears just above the spot marked as spare part 30

It is just noticable in the catalogue as a black dot, and appears to be on a flat machined section of the pump, as though it has a purpose. Basically what is it?, whats its purpose, should it be weeping water?, should it have a bung in it of some form??

http://www.mossmotor...teIndexID=29120

thanks once again. Cheers jim

Edited by kiwi-jim

Jim

Congratulations on the initial start up

The grease nipple goes in the hole above the one Jim is talking about marked 35 on the moss diagran. The water pump on my car has the moulded face like on the diagram but no hole. Is the hole threaded ?

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Hi ed /Alan

Thanks for getting back to me, I have a grease nipple located above this hole as Alan suggests. havn;t been able to determine as to whether or not the hole is threaded as yet, cause I havn't yet found a bolt/scew small enough diameter to fit the hole. So currently I am still mystified. Cheers

Hi Jim,

That's good news and bad news then.

I've always taken that hole (some pumps have one underneath) as a weep hole, designed to forewarn you before the seal fully lets go.

If your water pump has sat for a while, the mild steel shaft gets a fine coat of rust which wrecks the seal as soon as you start the car.

To avoid that problem we leave them sitting in a bucket of coolant when off the engine.

Unfortunately you'll have to get a new seal fitted.

I think the grease nipple in the 11.00 o'clock position on the pump flange was deleted when they started using fully sealed bearings.

Regards,

Viv

Hi viv

as they say in the toyota add Bugger, That all makes sense as the leaked water definately had a rust colour to it Thanks for that I sort of expected a reply such as this.

Viv do you know if the seal is readily available or is it a special one?

cheers jim

Like Viv says: I had exactly the same experience and the Moss guys told me that there was nothing that they could do. "These things happen with these w/pumps, sir!" Had they told me that when I bought the pump, things would have been different!

Anyway, I took the thing off and installed a pump from TR4Tony, overhere on the forum. The pumps he's selling work perfectly. Recommended.

Menno

Hi everyone

I have today for the first time fired up my Tr during the rebuild and driven it up and down the drive just to ensure things are working before I attach all the rest of the body bits. All was ok other than for a leak in the water pump

I have attached a link to moss .com so someone might be able to identfy my problem.

on the side of the water pump is a small hole, I have no idea what it does or if it is supposed to have a screw/bolt/bung in it. On the moss catalogue and the manuals nothing is shown in this weee hole. On the link to the moss page the hole appears just above the spot marked as spare part 30

It is just noticable in the catalogue as a black dot, and appears to be on a flat machined section of the pump, as though it has a purpose. Basically what is it?, whats its purpose, should it be weeping water?, should it have a bung in it of some form??

http://www.mossmotor...teIndexID=29120

thanks once again. Cheers jim

The seal has gone...as Viv says it is usually due to rust on the spindle...even if you get a new seal the spindle could tear that apart too... there used to be repair kits that came complete with a new spindle but doubt that they are available now. New pumps are available and not expensive...the answer is to replace with new.

Dick.

After the main pump shaft gets rusty (read smaller outside diameter which then causes the pump to start to leak, that "weep hole" will leak rusty water. I had a hole like that on the first pump that came on my 1958 TR3A brand new - straight from the factory. It was the outlet hole for the grease. You can't pump grease into the grease fitting if you have no outlet. I always knew when my water pump bearing had enough grease when I could see it start to come out that "weep hole". It looked like one strand of black spaghetti oozing out.

Now you know the rest of the story.

BTW, in 1990 my neighbour with the 10" lathe turned a new main shaft for my brand new replacement pump I had just bought from Box & Chuckles. He turned it out of a piece of stainless steel I gave him and it has given me no issues since 1990 having driven "TRusty" over 103,000 miles with this new & modified pump.

Hi Jim,

Yes the seals are available, but you need someone who knows what they are doing to fit it. They have a preload pressure, and the impeller has to be re-attached properly to the shaft, or it has a habit of coming off. Sometimes Vanguard club people know where you can get a water pump rebuilt.

If you can't find anyone locally, we have a place in Melb who've been rebuilding TR pumps for 40+ years. Not expensive either.

Yell out if you need their details to post it over.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Jim,

That hole acts as an air vent when you are pumping grease in through the grease nipple and it eventualy lets out excess grease.

Rusty water coming out means that the gland seal is not doing its job and can mean that the gland seating which is machined into the cast iron housing is corroded.In the long run you may be better replacing the pump which is what I did recently. I found that the later replacement pumps have sealed for life bearings (I don't know who's life) with no grease nipple, however, both types are available.

Regards, Colin.

Thanks guys for all the replies, I now have the pump off, and all apart and am on the hunt for a new pump preferably with the sealed bearings, Who supplies these and what do they cost?

I notice in the moss catalogue the diagram shows the pump and pulley assembly have a woodruff key between them. My old pump has a bevelled cotter pin arrangement, which possibly means I might have a problem getting the new type of pump attached to the pulley, if that makes a big difference to your recomendations.

Thanks again

Edited by kiwi-jim

Hi Jim,

A water pump repair kit including sealed for life bearings, the upgraded seal, gasket and even a new shaft is available here. It's a common kit for phase 2 Vanguards and TR's for A$95.00 plus postage. If that's of interest you can contact them on sales@autosurplus.com.au. They also rebuild water pumps along with the other crowd I use, and do a good job.

Regards,

Viv.

Thanks Viv I will flick them an email tomorrow.

cheers jim

I've taken the wimps way out and fitted a davies-craig electronic water pump. Although it overcomes the rusty shaft and seal problem, plumbing it in requires a vivid imagination and a few hours in front of the SupaCheap auto water hose bin thinking laterally.

That sounds complacated but post a photo so we can see what you have done sounds like it could be worth a look.