I have developed a very loud creak or to be more correct my 4A has in the front offside suspension.

It’s not there when you set off but develops after about four miles and remains, after parking for ten minutes the creak has disappeared and the whole cycle starts again when you drive off. I thought that I had tracked it down to the top of the shock absorber so I checked that out and replaced the rubber mountings and even tried a different shock absorber to no avail. I have also removed the upper wishbone arms and the bushes which appear to be white nylon are in excellent condition.

Before I strip more of the suspension any thoughts on the problem will be gratefully received

Thanks

Chris

Chris

In your checking " so far "... can we conclude the wheel nuts are tight, the brake caliper is bolted down tight, the brake pads are free to move i.e. plenty of anti-seize grease on the back of the pads, anti squeal shims, retaining pins,etc. Other things, wire wheels ? Suspension bump stops securely attached and in good order, no " play " in the front wheel bearing, anti roll bar fitted ? not secure / rubbers shot ? Steering track rod end secure and adjusting lock nut on the rack solid , steering rack itself, are the clamps tight?

Does a squirt of WD40, white grease aerosol on the joints make any difference ?

It's there somewhere Chris, just a process of gradual elimination... simple things/ checks first !!

Good luck.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

A good shot of PTFE spray on all the lower and upper bushes may help. I think Ian Cornish had the same prob and thats how he cured it.

Stuart

Edited by stuart
A good shot of PTFE spray on all the lower and upper bushes may help. I think Ian Cornish had the same prob and thats how he cured it. Stuart

Chris,

TuRK had the same problem a few years ago and it drove me nuts (very embarrassing driving in town whilst try to pose!!) - my solution was to spray all moving suspension parts with 3-in-1 Silicon lubricant (other products are available :rolleyes: ) and it stopped.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

If you have nylon bushes, this creaking can occur and can be very embarrassing!

The cure is to apply Masterlube (obtainable from Revington, or something similar) to each end of each of the nylon bushes - you need to lift the rubber ring slightly, insert the spray nozzle and give it a blast. I do this each time I grease the front suspension, and - normally - it suffices until the next greasing. However, I noticed yesterday on a fabulous cross-country blast to Prescott, that the creaking had come back, so I'll be applying the treatment this week.

Ian Cornish

If you have nylon bushes, this creaking can occur and can be very embarrassing!

The cure is to apply Masterlube (obtainable from Revington, or something similar) to each end of each of the nylon bushes - you need to lift the rubber ring slightly, insert the spray nozzle and give it a blast. I do this each time I grease the front suspension, and - normally - it suffices until the next greasing. However, I noticed yesterday on a fabulous cross-country blast to Prescott, that the creaking had come back, so I'll be applying the treatment this week.

Ian Cornish

I use a spray lubricant called GT85 "The Lubricant,Penetrator and Water Displacer", which is quite commonly available. It is an up-market version of WD40 but includes PTFE, it certainly does the trick on nylon bushes and seems to be quite long lasting. Also has the added advantage that it smells wonderful - and is probably quite addictive!

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice I tracked the problem down to the upper wishbone bushes which I removed, cleaned and lubracated with PTFE spray.

Chris