Help Please to identify this hole

This is a close-up photo of the boot flange on the off side of my 3A. You will notice the arrow points to a small hole. At first we thought that this might have something to do with supporting the wiring loom, but now we're not sure. Does anyone have a clue?

Cheers

boot_flange_driver-side.jpg

Nothing to do with the wiring loom. That's held in place with metal tags

folded over the loom (with a plastic sleeve ove.

Never seen a hole there before, can't think what it could be for.

Shouldn't be there.

AlanR

I assume by offside in the US you mean left side stood behind car looking forward in which case no the hole shouldnt be there. Loom runs on right hand side any way. Sorry Frank its going to need filling in to stop water ingression in the trunk.

Stuart.

I assume by offside in the US you mean left side stood behind car looking forward in which case no the hole shouldnt be there. Loom runs on right hand side any way. Sorry Frank its going to need filling in to stop water ingression in the trunk.

Stuart.

Thanks to all. I suspect this was some weird modification made by the PO.

And yes, offside, being correct English terminology, in this case means "driver's" side of the car, or should I say motor. :P

This is a close-up photo of the boot flange on the off side of my 3A. You will notice the arrow points to a small hole. At first we thought that this might have something to do with supporting the wiring loom, but now we're not sure. Does anyone have a clue?

Cheers

boot_flange_driver-side.jpg

I am embarrassed: I don't have anything on my car that even REMOTELY looks like your photo. Tomorrow, I will check the Miata...

Hi Guys

Nice to hear the American calling it "The Boot", pity about the Englishman referring to it as "The trunk". Hope we all understand that "The Hood" is the soft fabric top, and not the hard cover that goes over the engine bay, that is "The bonnet". Anyway it is good that we all share the niceties.

Does anybody still refer to it as "The hooter" and not "The horn", or even "The winkers"as opposed to "trafficators" which used to be the name of that illuminated arm that came out of the side posts of the car to show a turning manoeuvere?

Sorry! I ain't not got that extra hole either, but I see that you have the later weatherseal arrangement on the rear "Wings" or are they Fenders?

And err.......great hooters aren't found on cars. tongue.gif

:lol::lol::lol:;)

Stuart

Hi Dave,

Speaking of language anomalies, a winker is also known as a blinder in some countries.

Stops the chaffburner seeing what's looming up behind. unsure.gif

Worn in races, not the breeding paddock. rolleyes.gif

V.

It's amazing how this topic has evolved into an etymological debate. I sure wish I had a clue what you were all talking about! :D

It's amazing how this topic has evolved into an etymological debate. I sure wish I had a clue what you were all talking about! :D

Dont worry Frank, that makes two of us! ;)

Stuart.

Yeah! and all you wanted to know was what that extra hole was for.

Speaking of extra holes, does anybody know what that 3/4" hole in the side of the pedal box is for? also the 1/2" one at the rear of the same box towards the top., or am I the only one who has them, suitably covered up with rubber grommets.

Dave

Yeah! and all you wanted to know was what that extra hole was for.

Speaking of extra holes, does anybody know what that 3/4" hole in the side of the pedal box is for? also the 1/2" one at the rear of the same box towards the top., or am I the only one who has them, suitably covered up with rubber grommets.

Dave

They are left over from TR2/early TR3 fitments.

Stuart.

Interesting Stuart. What went through them?

Dave

The one at the back of the box is for the original wiper rack and the one on the side is to access the clamp bolt for the master cylinder if I remember rightly.

back to topic,

It looks to me like a spot weld hole, where the boot stay socket/bracket should be.

ATB

Phil Tucker :)

Cmon Phil was it that late a night last night, you ought to know better or you havent got your glasses on. Its the wrong side for that.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Stuart, my best guess is the hole in Frank's car was for a bracket to hold a pop up boot light switch, as many cars were retro fitted with lights.

Helpful at night back in their daily use days when you lifted the lid with one hand, and had a load of stuff in the other.

I've also seen similar holes drilled for a bracket for a car alarm switch.

Regards,

Viv.