Now that I am into reassembling my car I have opened a rear wing fixing kit I purchased from Moss some time back. In it is a L shaped bracket with a caged nut attached. On the Moss site I see they call it a rear wing clamp, where does it go?, what is its purpose? and are they sided? looking at the moss site I cant see what purpose it serves. Can someone help?? Cheers

Now that I am into reassembling my car I have opened a rear wing fixing kit I purchased from Moss some time back.

In it is a L shaped bracket with a caged nut attached. On the Moss site I see they call it a rear wing clamp,

where does it go?, what is its purpose? and are they sided? looking at the moss site I cant see what purpose

it serves. Can someone help?? Cheers

It's to stop the rear wing flapping due to wind pressure/turbulence.

Original detail was a small bracket welded to the chassis, drilled, and a small

bracket welded to the inner face of the rear wing, also

drilled. The rear wing stay was fixed between these brackets. Both fixings were

by a ¼"UNF bolt, washer and nut.

There was a similar bracket for the TR4 wing, in fact a more substantial bracket

despite the TR4 wing being stiffer (from the look of it).

The original bracket was a steel flat with the middle section slightly concave.

AlanR

Hi Alan

This piece I am talking according to the moss catalogue looks to attach somehow somehow along the top edge of the fender almost inside the boot lip area. The rear wing stay I think you are referring to is fine. this piece in the kit is only a few inches long. hopefully someone possibly Stuart can post a photo of where this goes. Its got me stumped

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=1878 part number 19 on this page cheers

Hi Alan

This piece I am talking according to the moss catalogue looks to attach somehow somehow along the top edge of the fender almost inside the boot lip area. The rear wing stay I think you are referring to is fine. this piece in the kit is only a few inches long. hopefully someone possibly Stuart can post a photo of where this goes. Its got me stumped

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=1878 part number 19 on this page cheers

Cant really help with a photo but the idea of it is it attaches to the rear most mushroom headed bolt in the back end of the boot lid aperture and faces rear ward to provide additional clamping of the very rear of the wing to the top edge of the back panel above the rear light. It is a nightmare to fit unless there is two of you or you have very long arms. The bent lip should face inwards towards the wing lip.

Stuart.

When I took the rear wings/guards off of my 61 3A these bits fell on the floor and I always wondered where they came from, they were obviously a factory fit. I will be asking the same question in a couple of years when I put my car back together and have forgotten this post :D:D

Alan

Thanks Stuart, just so i have got this right are you saying it fits on the inside of the rear Guard attachment lip,and the rear most mushroom headed bolt is screwed into it from inside the boot lip , and the purpose of it is to provide the extra grip and strength to holding the rear of the Guard. That makes sense and if its true I can understand why you are unlikely to have a photo but I agree it is likely to be a bugger to get into position, wonder why the guard just didn't have a permantly attached captive nut arrangement?. cheers

Edited by kiwi-jim

Thanks Stuart, just so i have got this right are you saying it fits on the inside of the rear Guard attachment lip,and the rear most mushroom headed bolt is screwed into it from inside the boot lip , and the purpose of it is to provide the extra grip and strength to holding the rear of the Guard. That makes sense and if its true I can understand why you are unlikely to have a photo but I agree it is likely to be a bugger to get into position, wonder why the guard just didn't have a permantly attached captive nut arrangement?. cheers

I suspect that the answer to why there isn't a captive nut arrangement is that the bent clip allows you to exert clamping pressure adjacent to the tail light nacelle. You wouldn'[t be able to get a 'regular' fixing that far back in the bodyshell/wing.

Rgds Ian

Yep youve got it. Worst problem is trying to get the screw to go in and pick up the thread square. Its one of those jobs that you will struggle with for hours and get fed up with, walk away and come back to it later and it will go straight off and you end up wondering why you had all the problem in the first place. :blink:

Stuart

Once again thank you gentleman i'll let you know when I ahave stopped swearing after fixing the Guards. cheers