Longest TR4 restoration ever?

John,

Below a couple of photos as to how I attached my cubby box.

It was purchased from the Roadster Factory and is black plastic - a very good fit as I have it, I am happy with it as it looks quite neat.

I fitted the 8No. spire clips to the return edges of the steel dash, placed the cubby box on the outside of these returns and screwed the self tappers as seen.

It seemed to be the easiest and neatest way to do it, however I do not know if this is the original Factory method of installing it.

Regards, Richard

B-LHside_zps575748a6.jpg

A-Gloveboxopeningindash_zps8832e628.jpg

C-RHside_zps59b77b9b.jpg

What a good job your doing John. your metalwork puts mine to shame.

I notice you have bought the revington adjustable top wishbone brackets, is there a special reason? also Webbers am I to think your going Racing?

I,m going to get a session organized at my local Gym, so I can close the sodding doors!

John,

Below a couple of photos as to how I attached my cubby box.

It was purchased from the Roadster Factory and is black plastic - a very good fit as I have it, I am happy with it as it looks quite neat.

I fitted the 8No. spire clips to the return edges of the steel dash, placed the cubby box on the outside of these returns and screwed the self tappers as seen.

It seemed to be the easiest and neatest way to do it, however I do not know if this is the original Factory method of installing it.

Regards, Richard

B-LHside_zps575748a6.jpg

A-Gloveboxopeningindash_zps8832e628.jpg

C-RHside_zps59b77b9b.jpg

Richard that is correct.

Stuart.

Richard - thanks very much (and Stuart for the confirmation) - that was just what I needed, I have clearly still got some holes to plug and some serious work to do with the cubby to get it fitting as nicely as yours - that really is a very clean build.

I'll try to add a few more pics as I go from now on as I've been dipping in and out of the TR4 resto work while also sorting my number 2 sons beetle (think you've seen rust on a Triumph - try looking at a forty year old beetle) :o Anyway thats done now and is his daily driver.

Pete - thanks for the compliment but from what I've seen of your progress I don't think I'll be putting you to shame any time soon! You are right about your observations though - I started this rebuild with a view to a comfortable touring car (fast road..ish!) and for some reason it seems to be morphing into a bit of a replica/lookalike/tribute thing. Hell - I'm not going to open that debate again - I'm building it as I want it which will be looking like an early works car in powder blue (which is the original colour) with a number of period features but also some modern adaptations. The chassis is strengthened with new adjustable shocks and as you saw the Revington kit to sort out the neg camber which I've done, reduced a load of weight in various places. The engine with the Webbers is a bit of an unknown quantity at present it runs and sounds superb but the compression on the cylinders is way higher than I was aiming for (205psi dry across the board) and causes me considerable concern. I guess a track-day car perhaps ...watch this space! :rolleyes:

Tony - the faithful mutt is called Reef and is as daft as a brush!

John, looking good so far but that compression reading is high. May be better to go for a thicker head gasket unless you have a good supply of Avgas :wacko:;)

Stuart.

John, looking good so far but that compression reading is high. May be better to go for a thicker head gasket unless you have a good supply of Avgas :wacko:;)

Stuart.

Yep

On the limit and a bit more John :( unless big mods at the bottom end

Neil/Stuart - I figured I was going to have to do something about that compression - when I worked out the original spec for the engine I allowed for a 1.2 copper shim gasket to give me the correct (slightly higher) compression. Looking at it now it would appear the head has had more taken off it than I thought and I'm going to have to pack it back up - what do you reckon - take it up to 2mm or 2.5mm?

Thanks Neil - I'll have a go at the 2.5mm and see what the readings are - at least I've got a template to work to now, unlike the first time!

If I can get her down to the 170/80 area I would be a lot more comfortable about the longevity of the engine.