Steering column question

Question that relates to our Peerless, but sidescreen orientated !

The wheel on the Peerless is the TR adjustable variety, the 3-pointed star jobbie. The column on Peerlesses is supposed to be TR (long), but the splined section on this one appears longer than my recollections of TR column with ordinary wheel fitted - I could be wrong, don't have a standard column to compare.

Does anyone happen to know just how the steering column differed between cars fitted with the standard and with the adjustable wheel ? None of my parts books give any detail other than the different part numbers in the Accessories section.

I've acquired a Mayflower wheel in A1 condition that I'd expected to be able to fit, but it's for a narrower diameter column . . . . and I'm wondering if the adjustable column is in fact a wider diameter than the standard TR column ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

Alec

.........I don't have a standard column to compare.

Alec,

Can't answer the question directly, but I do have a spare non-adjustable column for comparison, so if all other lines of enquiry fail I could pop it over after work next Friday?

Cheers

Andrew

Alec,

My second TR2 had an adjustable column, and it was significantly longer overall than the non-adjustable in my first two. Since I am such a short-arse, I have to have the seat very far forward in order to be able to operate clutch and brake, and this meant my chest was almost against the wheel! Had I extended the column, I would not have been able to drive the car at all!

I removed the adjustable part of the column (can't remember exactly how, but I recollect that a hacksaw was involved!) and got the wheel almost back to its normal position.

Daft arrangement really!

Ian Cornish

Hi Alec,

The adjustable steering column is a different animal to the fixed. The inner projects about four to six inches further out of the oter casing. Yes it is also noticeably a bit wider, tho' cannot tell you by how much. The main difference is that it is differently fixed. The adjustable has many narrow splines, whilst the fixed is different ( keyway from memory). The Mayflower wheel should fit the standard TR2 etc. column.

The steering wheels are completely different and not interchangeable. Dont forget, if you need an adjustable steering wheel, then there are various other bits to get. The sensor tube is different and fixes differently to the steering wheel centre. There is a large tapering spring below the wheel to cover up the splines. There are two special ends to the spring as well. A lot of fiddling around & not so easy. Believe me I know to my cost as I changed my TR2 from fixed to adjustable type thinking the wheel was all I needed. As a matter of interest, the adjustable wheel if fully extended will go several inches further towards the driver. Who needs an airbag ?

Didnt I ask you a bit ago whether you needed a fixed or adjustable wheel? In fact I can set you up with an adjustable wheel, but fixed I cannot help. Send me an email or give me a call.

Cheers,

JOhn S

Thanks John,

see email

Cheers,

Alec

A related question please, what would be the 'correct' orientation of an adjustable wheel, that is, with the front road wheels aimed straight ahead?

would it be like this: Y or inverted?

A related question please, what would be the 'correct' orientation of an adjustable wheel, that is, with the front road wheels aimed straight ahead?

would it be like this: Y or inverted?

According to my understanding, reinforced with the pic. in the S-T workshop manual, the wheel spokes would be an upright Y. Note this is probably not so difficult on an adjustable wheel, which you can take off & slot on to make it in the right position. For the conventional wheel which is on a keyway, the only way is to adjust the track rods one sode or the other until the wheel is straight again.

My own car which has adjustable column has the wheel crooked sinbce when it was rebuilt. Must get round to iit one day, but car is off road at this moment anyway.

Cheers, John S