Originals are quite rare, so they may be worth a punt.

Bearing in mind that to recover them in vinyl yourself are talking around £290 pair, and in leather £420 pair.

The internals might need work also.

Regards

Peter

Sorry, the other thing to mention is that I assume you know that the TR4 had three different styles of seats up until the introduction of the 4A - are these the correct spec for your commission number?

Regards

Peter

I was thinking about having a go myself... I can do the internals etc - last time I restored a TR4 I took apart the original covers, recut new vinyl and gave it to someone to stitch together - it works pretty well and was very cost effective! I'll see how things go financially - any thoughts on re-chroming? A new rear bumper is over £500, mine looks a bit tired...

I would like original seats to go with my 1962 TR4 (it currently has 4A seats). I've found these (see attached) for £195 but they will need rebuilding - is this a good price?

Not sure about the relative values of TR4 -v- TR4 seats, but when I sold a pair of TR4A seats on here last year (sound frames but needed new covers) I got about £40 for them, on that basis £195 sounds a bit steep.

Not sure about the relative values of TR4 -v- TR4A seats, but when I sold a pair of TR4A seats on here last year

(sound frames but needed new covers) I got about £40 for them, on that basis £195 sounds a bit steep.

Yes, £195 is rather steep. You should be able to get them for

around £100, obviously needing restoration at that price.

They are not exactly common so you may have to shop around and

be a little patient, maybe even pay a bit more.

The Parts Book says the early style of seats continued until

approx. CT 15,000 but I have had a couple of TR4s, late 62,

up to CT 16,900 and they both had the early style seats.

Unless your 4 is very very late '62, the early style seats

will be the correct ones.

There was then an interim style for a short time before the

later style was introduced. The different styles used to be

well illustrated in the Moss on-line manual - don't know if

it still is, but worth a try.

Re-chroming is not cheap and getting more expensive, and more

difficult to find a good place, all the time.

There's no cheap way, really. You could use a cheap re-chromer

but it wouldn't last.

The stainless bumpers are supposed to be top quality and a good

fit - not cheap but it's a once only expense and low maintenance.

I paid top price to have my bumpers re-chromed - supposedly with

copper plate and the full works. After two weeks use, occasional

rain, there was a lot of spot staining. I think the company will

do something about it - don't know what though, it's hardly worth

doing the job again, but it just goes to show the problems you can

have even when you pay top price.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

My experience of seat pans has been that even when the seat looks superficially OK the internals can have significant fatigue cracking around the front and rear anchor points for the runners and along the back edge of the bottom pan. Not terminal, but a good way to practice your welding skills.

£195 sounds a lot, I would want to look at the condition of the metal frames in some detail before I would part with that kind of cash.

And if you do go for them, remember that a replacement stuffing kit is expensive and if you can rescue the existing ones it is worth doing so, even if you junk the outer covers.

Rgds Ian

My experience of seat pans has been that even when the seat looks superficially OK the internals can have significant fatigue cracking around the front and rear anchor points for the runners and along the back edge of the bottom pan. Not terminal, but a good way to practice your welding skills.

£195 sounds a lot, I would want to look at the condition of the metal frames in some detail before I would part with that kind of cash.

And if you do go for them, remember that a replacement stuffing kit is expensive and if you can rescue the existing ones it is worth doing so, even if you junk the outer covers.

Rgds Ian

Not over difficult to repair the seat pans and they are all like it ;) Its the spring bases that are the bits to pay most attention to because nearly all the repros available now are the wrong type of springs and you end up sitting "On" the seat rather than "In" them :blink:

Stuart.

Thanks for advice. So maybe it might be worth waiting for better / cheaper seats to come up. The chassis number is CT 9649 O so I'm sure it should have the early type seats. The TR4 I restored 15 years ago came with 4A seats which were much thicker but the original seats were there too so I put them back in - I do think they look nicer.

On the chrome bumper thing - the bumpers look poor so should I put £1000 into replacing both bumpers and overiders - it's a significant part of the cars look... I didn't realise the new bumpers were stainlesss - that eases the pain a bit!

On the chrome bumper thing - the bumpers look poor so should I put £1000 into replacing both bumpers and overiders - it's a significant part of the cars look... I didn't realise the new bumpers were stainlesss - that eases the pain a bit!

As far as I know it is only the supplier in the link I posted that is suplying stainless, other replacements will be chrome.

Andy

£100/pair is quite enough for any seats in poor external and unknown internal condition. The internal condition remains unknown until they've been stripped and eyeballed, and don't let anyone suggest otherwise !!

If the outside is shot, then 98% chance the metalwork will need at least some repair . . . and that's being optimistic. But at least the repair isn't rocket science.

Old bumpers, if they are straight and sound, have at least some modest value to anyone looking for a good basis for rechroming. Ebay - but be realistic, not over optimistic.

Cheers,

Alec

Just looked at that link - £643 for the whole set with over riders - pretty good! Could I get anything for the old bumpers????

If they are straight - Yes.

Probably not more than £100 though.

There are those who prefer originals, but they know well enough

the cost of re-chroming, though straightening as well does add

to the price (and maybe the unpredictability of the end product).

And the stainless bumpers are a very good option.

AlanR

My TR4 is july '63, CT20649L and had square, straight seats when I bought it. Not these curved ones.

Just for the info.

Badfrog

That sounds right enough.

Were they the 'interim' square seats or the later style?

Just the anorak in me being curious.

AlanR